Blower motor module recall - Charged $500 for resistor replacement as well

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bfun

Reaction score
Let me know if these seems shady to you all.

My wife took our 2015 Expedition in for the recall to be peformed because our AC kept going out. When I reached under the unit was super hot. Obviously not good there.

They performed the replacement of the module and when my wife picked it up, she was pulling out and the AC still wasn't working. Went back in and they came out to check things. Apparently the guy got shocked when he touched two melted wires. I go pick my wife up so they can fix the wires.

The next morning, they call my wife and tell her these wires are not part of the recall because it's the blower resistor and not the module and we're going to have to pay around $500 to fix it.

I called them up and said I have a hard time figuring out how this cannot be part of the recall. He said there's nothing they can do and I can call the nationl customer service line.

I plan to do so, but wanted to get input from you all first.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Let me know if these seems shady to you all.

My wife took our 2015 Expedition in for the recall to be peformed because our AC kept going out. When I reached under the unit was super hot. Obviously not good there.

They performed the replacement of the module and when my wife picked it up, she was pulling out and the AC still wasn't working. Went back in and they came out to check things. Apparently the guy got shocked when he touched two melted wires. I go pick my wife up so they can fix the wires.

The next morning, they call my wife and tell her these wires are not part of the recall because it's the blower resistor and not the module and we're going to have to pay around $500 to fix it.

I called them up and said I have a hard time figuring out how this cannot be part of the recall. He said there's nothing they can do and I can call the nationl customer service line.

I plan to do so, but wanted to get input from you all first.

Ford makes a pigtail replacement connector. That, plus the resistor, takes about 1/2 hour of labor to replace. I think you’re being overcharged.

This is a TSB about the connector (not a recall): https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163573-0001.pdf

This will show you how to replace it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=42Ae37Zx90E

What was the cost of the parts and the labor charge?

OP
OP
B

bfun

Reaction score
It was 179 for labor, 159 for the blower resistor and and 113 for the wiring harness. My wife had already told them to do it before I got ahold of them about it all.

Is the resistor totally unrelated to the module that was the recall? Seems like a big bait and switch but I'm not super knowledgeable on this.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was 179 for labor, 159 for the blower resistor and and 113 for the wiring harness. My wife had already told them to do it before I got ahold of them about it all.

Is the resistor totally unrelated to the module that was the recall? Seems like a big bait and switch but I'm not super knowledgeable on this.

The resistor helps control the blower motor assembly, which is subject of the recall. It mounts on the blower motor evaporator case.

Ryan L

Reaction score

Definitely shady of Ford! You did need a new pigtail and resistor, but that price is outrageous. My dealer did something similar with the brake booster recall. Aggressively tried to sell me an expensive brake flush. Seemed rather difficult to do that recall work without replacing the fluid, so I declined. Funny thing, the fluid sure looked new when I got it back home.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The motor speed is regulated by the blower resistor. If the motor is drawing too much current (the reason for the recall), the resistor may overheat. I would argue they are related and thus should be covered in the recall. The labor to replace both at same time should be minimal. Yes it is possible for the connecting wires to be burned as well due to the motor current. It is after all a potential fire hazard.

bodabdan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm still stuck on someone allegedly getting shocked by 12v DC.....
I would offer a cash reward to anyone who could duplicate that.
Also, anytime someone says "there is nothing else they can do" they usually mean they don't want any of the duty or responsibility to the customer, just the profits from the over msrp stickers and the denials of legitimate warranty claims.
They could offer you a sweet trade in. They could eat $50 on a part for once. They could offer you a discount detail service. They could offer a discount oil change.
If there was a million dollar bonus, I'll bet there's something they could do........

NC17

Reaction score
Same thing just happened to me. Please update on your success speaking with the national customer service.
As a side note, the replacement of the resistor and pigtail did not fix the issue and they wanted to take apart the dash to replace wiring that 'may have been burnt'. All this crap should be related to the motor failure, but I said forget it. Anyone else have the recall performed and not had the issue resolved? Thanks.