Body rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I knew I had some rust underneath my Expedition but until recently I did not know the severity of it. The frame looks pretty good, just a bit of surface rust, but there are some pretty severe rust spots along the lower body. Mainly where the body mounts to the frame at the very front and along the bottom of the radiator. Also behind the rear wheels just outside of the frame and less severe rust along the bottom of all 4 doors. I plan to treat the rust with rust converter but not sure I can do enough at these spots with out actually cutting it out and welding new metal in. I would like to stop the rust from progressing and at the very least slow it down.

Has anyone else experienced severe rust at these locations? If so what did you do with it if anything? I think I will be modding my Expedition for some years to come and would like it to last.

The vehicle looks really good unless you crawl under it:) other than peeling paint in a couple spots in the front but thats for another thread.

OP
OP
toms89

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of rustbullet? Sounds good if you believe the advertising. I am open to hear anyones comments or experience on any rust conversion/ sealer products they may have used.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had good luck the POR 15 in the past... luckily right now don't have rust except on my frame

OP
OP
toms89

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Guess I am the only one with rust under vehicle. The previous owner must have driven on salty roads all the time. Well should make it easy to find non-rusted doors if it becomes necessary. Hoping the rust treatment will be enough to stop it from progressing. Just need warmer temps to begin.. directions say it must stay above 50 degrees for 48 hours after application.