Brake dust answer? Ceramic pads?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kistler

Reaction score
Another 2003 Expedition owner suggested that I replace my original equipment brake pads with ceramic ones.

Are ceramic pads a choice from the Ford dealer? or do only brake shops do ceramic pads? I have never been to Brake Max or that type of shop......do I dare trust them? :)

Is it OK to replace only the front brake pads? The fronts really get dirtier faster than the rear, especially when I am towing my trailer.

dyurkosr

Reaction score
Ceramic pads are an upgrade from most factory pads. They offer less noise and almost no dust on your wheels. They will usually last about 20% longer and cost about 20% more than standard pads. Not all cars should be upgraded to a ceramic pad. Trucks that tow "heavy" loads will see and increase in stopping distance with ceramic pads. Ocasssional towing (small boats, jetskis, small campers) are fine with ceramic. You can have ceramic installed at the dealer, you just need to ask for them.

OP
OP
K

Kistler

Reaction score
Thank you for replying...OK will ask the dealer....have a Prodigy brake controller on my trailer. I can set it to stop the tv, if I wish. I am just tired of the dust. :)

Kistler
Tucson

Grasshopper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are gonna go with ceramic pads, you WILL need to upgrade your rotors. Regular rotors with ceramic pads will usually cause premature warpage of the rotor. They get VERY HOT!! Been there...done that. It's a good upgrade, but you gotta do the whole deal.

OP
OP
K

Kistler

Reaction score
Third9768, thank you for the warning! This sounds like it is going to cost too much......I have only 17,000 miles on my Expedition so it will be a while until I need brakes, I guess.

Being retired I have not that much to do :), I might as well be shinning rims.

Kistler

French101

Reaction score
It might be too simple but just wash your wheel more often. Every couple of week should keep your wheel nice and shiny. It will also keep your wheels from getting damage by the dust. A simple solution that will cost you between 10 and 20 dollars for a bottle of wheel cleaner.

OP
OP
K

Kistler

Reaction score
French101, Believe me I do wash often. I can't go around the block -- only 3 stops-- and the front rims are dirty.

One day of mountain driving towing the trailer and they might as well be black painted. :) After set-up at the RV park, I usually spend 20 minutes on rims. Even the trailer is not as bad. Ford must have used the softest stuff available.

Kistler

French101

Reaction score
It's the bad huh! Did you check with the dealer to see if they had heavy duty brake pads? But not ceramic. I would not go that far to solve the problem.

bnvus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just FYI. You can get Duralast Gold DG934 brakes from Autozone.com. $30.00 out the door. NO DUST! You can order them online from their website. Lifetime warranty.