48,800km (30,000mi) and $2,200 for Pads and Rotors Replacement Quote from Dealer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
a 2,500 brake job from the dealer sound about in line with what my local dealer quoted....which was about $1800. Im not surprised

Herby

Reaction score
Check pads and steering linkage, ball joints just to make sure no other issue is looming.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can get EBC rotors, premium stuff if there ever was any, from Summit for under 400 bucks for all four. Pick a pad of your preference, and either diy or have a shop install these. their daily driver pads dust like crazy, but do work better than stock. So I dunno what you would want to do on that. The rear ford pads are soft and wear fast.

If they refuse to install EBC parts, tell them off and go elsewhere. Since the good old plant in Canada that supplied most good parts places closed about 20 years ago, I won’t run another rotor unless they just cant get me a set soon enough. Powerstop did get me by once and I thought it was a decent product. I’d just rather my money go to England than china.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lots of really good info here. Thanks to @RacerBX1 for probably the best explanation of how these brakes work. I'm due for service in February most likely. Last time I was in, the said I'll probably be due for rear brakes, so that will be an interesting service visit. I'll probably let them give me an estimate, then shop around.

OP
OP
20Expy

20Expy

Reaction score
You can get EBC rotors, premium stuff if there ever was any, from Summit for under 400 bucks for all four. Pick a pad of your preference, and either diy or have a shop install these. their daily driver pads dust like crazy, but do work better than stock. So I dunno what you would want to do on that. The rear ford pads are soft and wear fast.

If they refuse to install EBC parts, tell them off and go elsewhere. Since the good old plant in Canada that supplied most good parts places closed about 20 years ago, I won’t run another rotor unless they just cant get me a set soon enough. Powerstop did get me by once and I thought it was a decent product. I’d just rather my money go to England than china.
Ideally we wanted EBC pads and rotors, but since I am based here in Canada, shipping fee would be around $100, plus the border fee/tax which is another $100 - $150 which is completely destroys the deal unfortunately. The Canadian website, Tdot Performance, that has free shipping and no border fees said that it would take them about 2 months to get the EBC parts, whereas the Powerstops came within two weeks, which was still twice as long as they promised on the website, but we understand because of the holiday season. Here is the other link to my thread talking about pads and rotors specifically: https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...ptions-with-so-little-reviews-and-info.54888/

OP
OP
20Expy

20Expy

Reaction score
If they refuse to install EBC parts, tell them off and go elsewhere.
We had ours installed at Kal Tire, lol. That said, we had good experience with them changing tires seasonally for only $60 CAD and they always took care of balancing for free. The original quote they gave us was $1200 CAD with parts. I looked up the part number and it turned out to be RSparts that only costs about $400 total, so we bought our own parts. They were happy to install it and did it for $475 CAD ($350 USD) with a brake fluid flush. We probably over payed (is $350 about average for changing pads, rotors and fluids?), but we don't know any local shops unfortunately. Looking at the pads, I did see fresh grease between the backing plate and caliper which is good, I think?

There were 2 things to note though:

1. They did a terrible job breaking-in the pads. Checked our dashcam and they took the car around the neighbourhood once. They drove in 30km/h zones (up to about 18 mph) and slammed on the brakes to a complete stops multiple times (what you're suppose to AVOID when breaking-in pads). When we picked up the car, the brakes would then clunk before coming to a complete stop, it was terrible. We had to take it out at night and redo the proper break-in procedure like Powerstop recommended. Keep in mind, I already asked the service advisor to kindly follow the break-in procedures on the box beforehand. He assured to me, that the pads will be bed-in properly by their technician, but that's not the case. After properly breaking-in, the brakes work like a dream, butter smooth and quiet.

2. When booking the appointment, I asked him to use DOT 4 LV (low viscocity) brake fluid like the owner's manual recommendation. They said they will use OEM spec fluids. Uppon taking the car, the bill stated "1 liter of DOT 4 brake fluid used". The low viscocity part was not mentioned, so I'm assuming they didn't use low viscocity fluid. I understand DOT 4 LV is hard to get, but at least they could inform us about it. After a bit of reading, I think using DOT 4 instead of DOT 4 LV isn't that big of a deal, but if anyone has more knowledge and experience on this topic, pls inform us!

OP
OP
20Expy

20Expy

Reaction score
Our rear brakes also went first. Both Kal Tire and Mr. Lube actually recommended us to replace the rear when switching tires for the season, but at that point our local dealer didn't say anything yet (inspection sheet did show that rears are more worn than the fronts, but not to the point of replacing yet). Only when we asked them for a brake fluid change next year, did they say that both fronts and rears are at 1mm, and that was when we completely ditched the OEM brakes all together.

Lots of really good info here. Thanks to @RacerBX1 for probably the best explanation of how these brakes work. I'm due for service in February most likely. Last time I was in, the said I'll probably be due for rear brakes, so that will be an interesting service visit. I'll probably let them give me an estimate, then shop around.
I'm curious, how much brakes do you have left on the fronts? Do you use Adaptive Cruise a lot, and do you tow a lot as well? How many miles do you have on this set of pads? Sorry for all the questions, just want to see how long yours lasted compared to ours.

Oh, forgot to say on my previous replies: Happy New Year as well!

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@20Expy ....I have just over 54K miles on the truck and the brakes. I have never towed, and do not use adaptive cruise. At the last dealer service last May, they said I have 9mm front and 6mm rear. Time before that (5/2022) I had 12 and 8. Before that (8/2021) a different dealer said 10 and 8mm. Interestingly, some how my brakes got better from 2021 to 2022!? Technically, 6mm is still in the green on their chart. I guess if they measure right this time, I'm expecting 6 or 7 front and 3 or 4 rear, so I'm expecting them to recommend all brakes be done....cha-ching.

OP
OP
20Expy

20Expy

Reaction score
Time before that (5/2022) I had 12 and 8. Before that (8/2021) a different dealer said 10 and 8mm. Interestingly, some how my brakes got better from 2021 to 2022!?
Haha, I'm sure the last dealer was so nice, they installed new, thicker pads for u at no costs! Joking aside, this is what builds mistrust between the customer and the manufacturer, but the OEMs wouldn't do anything to address this, eventhough these dealers carry a HUGE logo of the manufacture in front of their buildings and are the main contact point of their customers.

Does anyone know the procedure of checking pad life for dealer technicians? Do they take both pads off and check each individual pads with a caliper ruler? Or do they just look at the gap and estimate? If I remember correctly, there was only 4 places to put the measurements on the inspection sheet. So if the inside and outside pads wear unevenly, you can't put that on the sheet. Not even mentioning one with a sticking caliper that wears the pads diagonally on one side more than the other. What would the measurement be at that point?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire