brake pedal loose during turn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommie

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2001 Expy, EB 5.4 and the truck has a 3" body lift on it. I bought it with the body lift already on it so I don't know what the previous owner did to accommodate the lift.

So my issue..driving straight and applying the brake the feel is as it should be.... but if I apply the brake pedal while turning it feels as if the pedal is moving to the side by about 1/2"

Ive got under there and moved the brake mechanism around and can't find an obvious area of slop when moving it around.

Any ideas?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Yep, your seat or the pedal. The pedal adjustment mechanism is just junk. Take a good look at it. Mine moves all over the place.

OP
OP
T

Tommie

Reaction score
thanks for the replys... I'll look at that mechanism and see if there's anything I can do to improve it.... are there replaceable bushings by any chance?

Ramon Triton

Reaction score
my brake pedal also has side to side play.

if i wiggle my foot i can feel it move side to side ever so slightly.

i've always just attributed it to SUV construction slop and big tolerances but sure would love to reduce it if it can be done safely.

1999 XLT 4.6

LAexpy

Reaction score
I installed my 3" body lift on my Expy, and although it requires a lot of work aside from adding the pucks - lowering radiator, adding steering extension, gas filler extension, transmission shifter extension, and bumper brackets - I seem to recall installing a relocation bracket for the brake line, but otherwise nothing else is done to the brakes

OP
OP
T

Tommie

Reaction score
Thanks LAexpy I'll double check his work because I def have trans shifter slop too, tightened the mount torx screws that come loose and added new shifter bushings, and it helped but still has slop and I have to hold the shifter up to get the key to fully turn to "OFF" on the ignition and be able to remove the key.

Heres a video to show the slop and see what you guys think: