Metallic Popping Noise When Turning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve searched to find a similar issue to what I’m experiencing and could not find any.

Just recently installed bilstien 5100s and replaced rims and tires, moving from factory 18s to Method 17s in larger 285/70r17 A/Ts. Ran like this for over a week with no issue prior to having it aligned.

Had it aligned at a local ford dealership and now when turning, primarily left at low speeds while loading or unloading the suspension I’m getting a popping sound as I come out of the turn. Can even make it happen when turning hard right under similar conditions, but primarily experiencing it while turning left.

Dealer rechecked it and said it was the lower control arm where it meets the knuckle, stated the bump stops had come loose and it needed grease… they grease it and said it was fine.

I picked it up on a day when service was closed, as soon as I made the turn onto the main road coming down the incline of the dealership driveway, onto the main road, turning left, it made the pop sound… needless to say I’m a little miffed that they apparently didn’t test it and simply applied some grease to an area they thought was the issue.

My biggest frustration is that it didn’t make the noise prior to the alignment and I’m thinking they screwed something up. It drives fine but I’m also feeling that it’s a little pointy with the front end at highway speeds when turning left. I’m a former racer myself and it almost feels like I’ve got to much negative camber on the front left. It’s unloading the left rear a lot and feels like the back wants to swing around. I don’t have the same feeling when turning right at highway speeds, the right rear stays planted more and has more bite and the front isn’t so eager to overcome the rear end.

Dealer didn’t charge me to look at it again but at this point I’m trying to find the issue point myself so I can lead them in the right direction for diagnostics. I can see no areas where I see contact with the steering linkages or control arm, with the shock body or springs… could it be a failing sway bar end link?

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve searched to find a similar issue to what I’m experiencing and could not find any.

Just recently installed bilstien 5100s and replaced rims and tires, moving from factory 18s to Method 17s in larger 285/70r17 A/Ts. Ran like this for over a week with no issue prior to having it aligned.

Had it aligned at a local ford dealership and now when turning, primarily left at low speeds while loading or unloading the suspension I’m getting a popping sound as I come out of the turn. Can even make it happen when turning hard right under similar conditions, but primarily experiencing it while turning left.

Dealer rechecked it and said it was the lower control arm where it meets the knuckle, stated the bump stops had come loose and it needed grease… they grease it and said it was fine.

I picked it up on a day when service was closed, as soon as I made the turn onto the main road coming down the incline of the dealership driveway, onto the main road, turning left, it made the pop sound… needless to say I’m a little miffed that they apparently didn’t test it and simply applied some grease to an area they thought was the issue.

My biggest frustration is that it didn’t make the noise prior to the alignment and I’m thinking they screwed something up. It drives fine but I’m also feeling that it’s a little pointy with the front end at highway speeds when turning left. I’m a former racer myself and it almost feels like I’ve got to much negative camber on the front left. It’s unloading the left rear a lot and feels like the back wants to swing around. I don’t have the same feeling when turning right at highway speeds, the right rear stays planted more and has more bite and the front isn’t so eager to overcome the rear end.

Dealer didn’t charge me to look at it again but at this point I’m trying to find the issue point myself so I can lead them in the right direction for diagnostics. I can see no areas where I see contact with the steering linkages or control arm, with the shock body or springs… could it be a failing sway bar end link?
sounds like some parts were not torqued correctly

OP
OP
apex96

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sounds like some parts were not torqued correctly
That was my initial concern, and I stressed the fact that it didn’t make the noise prior to the alignment being completed, to the service advisor.

OP
OP
apex96

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Took it to a Firestone service center, they pinpointed the issue to the right front. Could replicate it, but could not identify the issue. They did a thorough inspection and did find two of my shock tower bolts on that side were not tight. They tightened up the shock tower bolts, but it didn’t solve the issue.

I had attempted to unbolt the sway bar end link on that side from the knuckle, before deciding to unbolt the bushings from the chassis and letting it hang to relieve tension in the lower control arm, during shock removal. I believe I may have damaged the right side end link. At this point I’ve ordered new end links and will replace them next weekend to see if it eliminates the pop. If that doesn’t solve it I’ll replace upper ball joints next. Expedition has almost 72000 on it so new ball joints may be needed.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Took it to a Firestone service center, they pinpointed the issue to the right front. Could replicate it, but could not identify the issue. They did a thorough inspection and did find two of my shock tower bolts on that side were not tight. They tightened up the shock tower bolts, but it didn’t solve the issue.

I had attempted to unbolt the sway bar end link on that side from the knuckle, before deciding to unbolt the bushings from the chassis and letting it hang to relieve tension in the lower control arm, during shock removal. I believe I may have damaged the right side end link. At this point I’ve ordered new end links and will replace them next weekend to see if it eliminates the pop. If that doesn’t solve it I’ll replace upper ball joints next. Expedition has almost 72000 on it so new ball joints may be needed.
One more thing to mention. Some bolts have to be tightened and torqued when four wheels are on ground. If Ford tech torqued them when the vehicle was hang up on their lift machine, weird things may happen afterwards, like annoying noise. It's a very common mistake in workshop.

OP
OP
apex96

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Finally got an official diagnosis. Bent sway bar end link on the right front. Ordered new set and will swap both front end links out this weekend.

OP
OP
apex96

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you get a chance to install the new sway bar links? Resolved?
Not had a chance to get them installed. Funny enough my wife road shotgun for the first time since the popping has been occurring, said she can feel it in the floor. Also indicated it’s coming from the rear and the sound is traveling to the front through the chassis… If she’s actually right that means the second set of rear sway bar links has failed, in less than a month… I plan to put it on stands next week and go over everything front to back. Have new rear links on order, just in case it’s actually the rear end links again.

Chasing noises is extremely frustrating and tedious…

Last edited:
OP
OP
apex96

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not had a chance to get them installed. Funny enough my wife road shotgun for the first time since the popping has been occurring, said she can feel it in the floor. Also indicated it’s coming from the rear and the sound is traveling to the front through the chassis… If she’s actually right that means the second set of rear sway bar links has failed, in less than a month… I plan to put it on stands next week and go over everything front to back. Have new rear links on order, just in case it’s actually the rear end links again.

Chasing noises is extremely frustrating and tedious…
finally fixed the issue and I feel like a total dumb***! So... taking my wife's seat of the pants senses into consideration, I pulled the tires off the rear and inspected everything. Took a long look at the sway bar, and realized that the bar was installed upside down... I was the idiot who installed it! to be honest it's very easy to put in the wrong way and without taking a very careful look while doing the install you wouldn't notice it was put in wrong. The bar mounting point was pressing into the end link and had started to make a groove into the right side end link. The bar shifting into and out of the groove was making the popping noise. took everything off, reinstalled the bar the correct way and torqued everything down. Went for a drive and it was smooth as butter, no odd feelings and no noise!

Frustrating part in all this, one of my brand new end links had snapped shortly after install. Took it for inspection and they let me know and I gave them approval to replace it so that I would pass inspection. The tech who did the inspection and placed a new end link on it didn't know enough to question the odd angle the end link was at and just slapped a new one on... IF they had done their job they would have caught that (really after looking at it a bit, it was obvious that it was installed in the wrong orientation), and I could have approved their labor time to correct my mistake...

Lesson learned, pay extra attention to how a part came off so that it goes back on in the correct orientation! ;)

LegalBrief

Reaction score
Yup…I did the same thing, and snapped end links.

Documentation could be better. My clue was the loud snap one day, and my buddy saying what that hanging down. I also discovered the bushings really affect the road transmission to the frame, the harder the bushing the more feedback from the road.

I stayed with the Helwig bushings but could feel the difference with the OEM being much softer. I saw a lot of choices on the links. Luckily this is an easy project. You must do sway bars with the vehicle in the ground (weighted).

My buddy suggested for now to use OEM links, which I did, I really don’t want to rough a ride, but do want a corner carver.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire