Brake service light comes on while cruise control activated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tgams

Reaction score
went on a trip today, and while cruising down the interstate about 75, the service brake light came on. If I de-activate the cruise control it goes away.. any idea why? Brakes seem to work perfectly, not down on fluid. Never came on before at all. 2010 expy xlt, 120000 miles

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm gonna date myself here....nobody laugh, got it?

Does your cruise control use the vacuum system? If so, a leak in the vacuum tubing to the CC controller/actuator can affect the vacuum booster, causing the brake service light to activate.

At least, in the old days that could happen.

OP
OP
T

tgams

Reaction score
I thought about a vacuum leak, looked at all the hoses and stuff around the brake booster /master cylinder it’s the strangest thing, thinking it might be in the speed sensor or a relay problem, but I guess I need a decent schematic....

Plati

Reaction score
Yeah, you dated yourself there. It's all electronic now with a motor controlling the throttle plate.
I thought on newer vehicles .. brakes were also used in cruise control & traction control, etc?

OP
OP
T

tgams

Reaction score
does anyone else have any ideas? On the way home Thursday I tried it again, activated cruise control...came on and maintained speed fine...after about five minutes in cruise, the service brake system light came on and the message center indicated service brakes..I turned cruise off, and about 30 seconds afterward the light went off, and the message went away. This happened twice in a row, then i just left cruise off and the indication never came back. When I got home i scanned the computer for codes and found none.