Broken Rear Shock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bnicov

Reaction score
Driving home from work today, I hit a bump, nothing huge mind you and all of a sudden the truck's rear end felt really really loose. 06 Ltd btw with regular suspension. I pulled over and saw the passenger side rear tire canted out a bit. I looked underneath and saw that the bottom of the shock that attaches to the lower mount was sheared right off. I limped it home and hope to jack it up and get a better look tomorrow. Ever hear of this happening?? I literally only hit a small bump, not a big pothole or anything. How tough is doing the rear shocks?? No air bags?? Any how tos?? Thanks in advance.

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Driving home from work today, I hit a bump, nothing huge mind you and all of a sudden the truck's rear end felt really really loose. 06 Ltd btw with regular suspension. I pulled over and saw the passenger side rear tire canted out a bit. I looked underneath and saw that the bottom of the shock that attaches to the lower mount was sheared right off. I limped it home and hope to jack it up and get a better look tomorrow. Ever hear of this happening?? I literally only hit a small bump, not a big pothole or anything. How tough is doing the rear shocks?? No air bags?? Any how tos?? Thanks in advance.

It's quite easy and relatively cheap to do the rear shocks... YouTube can help you out a lot here there's tons of how tos around on these.

Edit: I just got all 4 of my new shocks In an will be doing mine soon I'll try and do a small write up

Bronco79

Reaction score
I had this happen on my 03 two weeks ago on the drivers side. I found that the shock also
bent the l/r lateral link which helped hold up the expy to get home.