Built 5.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

00XTL

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Everyone puts an LS in their car because they can make alot of power. Has anyone heard of someone building a 5.4 and making a crazy amount of horsepower? Im sure it can be done but you just never hear about it. Just curious

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t know much about building for horsepower but my first step would be the high volume oil pump. An engine known to trash itself under heavy work load from poor valve train oiling wouldn’t be my first choice. But if all the valve train upgrades that Brian Makuloco recommends has been done, sure why not.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 5.4 does not lend itself to high power mods................which is why you are finding so few mods for making big power. JE, one of our members is prob one of the sharpest young guys here in the ways of the 5.4.....you could reach out to him and I'm sure he's give you the scoop why not.

Many of us investigated this very thing before spending $$ on the 3.5, which DOES have huge power potential!

jeff

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Primary reason is the 5.4L has a marathon piston stroke much like a Harley Davidson. Insane torque, but revs aren’t its thing. It’s made to pull stumps and trailers. The GT500 in 2013 featured a DOHC 5.4 that produced 600 horsepower. But more expensive materials need to be used to get such a long stroke engine to rev that high. It’s all piston speed. That piston needs to travel much faster than a short stroke V8 to cover the same revs. You could supercharge and get 500 horse or so. But the Coyote lends itself better to this with shorter stroke.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The '13 GT500 didn't have a 5.4, it used the 5.8 Trinity engine. This one had cams from the Ford GT and a redline of up to 7K for a few seconds at a time with a special feature that came on the GT500.

Bore/stroke is 3.68"×4.17"...

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Primary reason is the 5.4L has a marathon piston stroke much like a Harley Davidson. Insane torque, but revs aren’t its thing. It’s made to pull stumps and trailers. The GT500 in 2013 featured a DOHC 5.4 that produced 600 horsepower. But more expensive materials need to be used to get such a long stroke engine to rev that high. It’s all piston speed. That piston needs to travel much faster than a short stroke V8 to cover the same revs. You could supercharge and get 500 horse or so. But the Coyote lends itself better to this with shorter stroke.

I'd be interested in 5.4L 2V engine upgrades that increase that "insane torque" even more. so far, all I've found out is shorty headers. any advice? I'm looking for more low end torque.
thanks
jg