Bulletproof???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaysp3ncer

Reaction score
Just bought me a 2012 Limited with 200,000 miles. At 154,000 miles the previous owner had ford do the timing chains, phasers, plugs, and coil packs. I’ve read a bit about “bulletproofing” and am still not 100% clear on everything with it but my first question is should a guy still look at a cam phaser tune? Also any other advice you can give me? Thanks for letting me join the family!

Jst ROM

Reaction score
To OP,

I have a 2008 Expy with 223K+ OG miles on it you should get it thoroughly checked by a mechanic (don't go to the dealership they will pillage your wallet), and get your Expy computer scanned to find if there are any other things that need to be replaced.

OP
OP
J

jaysp3ncer

Reaction score
To OP,

I have a 2008 Expy with 223K+ OG miles on it you should get it thoroughly checked by a mechanic (don't go to the dealership they will pillage your wallet), and get your Expy computer scanned to find if there are any other things that need to be replaced.
I’ve gone through it with Forscan and there’s no “hidden” code’s anywhere on it.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cam phaser tune? or delete? With the previous work done on your truck, stick with short oil changes, 5w-30 and if you press the accelerator to the floor for five seconds on cold start, then release it, system builds oil pressure for less wear and tear.

OP
OP
J

jaysp3ncer

Reaction score
Cam phaser tune? or delete? With the previous work done on your truck, stick with short oil changes, 5w-30 and if you press the accelerator to the floor for five seconds on cold start, then release it, system builds oil pressure for less wear and tear.
So you’re saying press the pedal for 5 seconds then start it?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you get maintenance records or receipts for dealer work when you bought the Expy ? 5w-30 synthetic will add to your motor's life. Holding the accelerator pedal to the floor signals the PCM that you're trying to clear a flooded engine and kills the spark. If the cam phasers were replaced along with the chains and tensioners you shouldn't need to do that. But if you start hearing a startup rattle in the motor, holding the accelerator pedal to the floor and building up oil pressure before actually starting will help with that. Up there the bigger issue is rust. The frame and everything else is allergic to salted roads. Check the frame, the roof channels, the radiator support, and take care of any rust early.

OP
OP
J

jaysp3ncer

Reaction score
Did you get maintenance records or receipts for dealer work when you bought the Expy ? 5w-30 synthetic will add to your motor's life. Holding the accelerator pedal to the floor signals the PCM that you're trying to clear a flooded engine and kills the spark. If the cam phasers were replaced along with the chains and tensioners you shouldn't need to do that. But if you start hearing a startup rattle in the motor, holding the accelerator pedal to the floor and building up oil pressure before actually starting will help with that. Up there the bigger issue is rust. The frame and everything else is allergic to salted roads. Check the frame, the roof channels, the radiator support, and take care of any rust early.

Yeah they did phasers and everything. I’m going to switch the oil for sure. Underneath the truck you’d think it was less than a year old. I honestly can’t get over how clean it is.