Burning smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fatgroundhog

Reaction score
Our 2018 with 82k miles developed a couple concerning symptoms during our 800 mile road trip:

first, the transmission went through a period on the highway with very rough shifts and high temps (trans temp near max on gauge) for about an hour.

then in town noticed random white smoke from the passenger side and smells of burning rubber. But trans was back to normal.

the trans is back to normal shifts and temp for a few days. But we still get occasional burning rubber smell, very prevalent near the front passenger wheel.

Ideas?

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@fatgroundhog Maybe some road debris (pieces of tires, plastic bags, trash, etc.) got flung up on your exhaust pluming or other hot areas. Also, 82K, have you had your ATF flushed/replaced w/ ATF filter? My local Ford Service spot says to get it done on these 4Gens/10-speeds every 60k. I'd get under it with a flashlight & have a look. Just my quick thoughts on this.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why would you run it for an hour at max trans temp? I mean thats gonna get spendy if that puked your trans.....

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same initial thought I had. Anything goes max temp, you pull over unless it's unsafe to do so unless you just like to blow $ in most cases. Even if fluid has been changed, after a run at max temps for extended time I'd probably change it again. It's not meant for that abuse.

RussD89

Reaction score
Something wrong with your transmission causes that.

All of the obvious smartass comments aside, there really are any number of things, and none of them would I consider ignoring just because temps have been fine since. Take it to get it looked at, or at the VERY LEAST, get the fluid and filter changed.

Buda Max

Reaction score
You very well could have a bad transmission temperature sensor. I pulled over, let it cool, got home and drove to dealership next day with no issues. I was under warranty. Sensor replaced and it ran “well” after

OP
OP
F

fatgroundhog

Reaction score
Update: transmission appears fine--fluid smells fine, and doesn't seem to have exceeded acceptable temps. The burning/smoke was the result of a bad valve cover gasket, which was replaced under warranty.