CAI Installed, Now CEL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NC-Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I pretty much stole a CAI by K&N today... 40 bucks off Craigslist, came with the box and everything. Aftermarket filter though, apparently one that's better than K&N, whatever.

So after installing it, I've got a check engine light. The code is P0113, which is related to the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor. I went ahead and picked up a brand new one for $14.99 at AutoZone (figured it wouldn't hurt) and replaced it. I made sure not to damage it by any means. I unhooked the negative on the battery before disconnecting the old one and it is currently sitting in the garage now with the new one hooked up and the battery still disconnected. So tomorrow morning I will rehook and see if the CEL still exists.

Any other thoughts on what to do? I also picked up a clean/oil kit for the filter (K&N $11.99) and some CRC Mass Air Flow cleaner.

While I'm tearing apart the intake and what not I was going to see if you guys have any other recommendations on simple DIY things to clean near/around the intake.

I will post some pictures later on once I get the chance to clean the engine bay.

Also was going to ask is it safe to physically rinse these reusable filters?

And if anyone can provide links with detailed descriptions on cleaning IAC, throttle body, EGR valve, MAF, etc... that'd be sweet!

Also an unrelated topic...
Picked up a used set of 325/65/18 Toyo Open Country A/T's the other day for $200 (couldn't pass 'em up)
Just haven't had the chance to mount them. Pics coming soon of those as well.

Last edited:

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you are supposed to disconnect the battery to reset the computer. so now it should be fine. it was used to the higher temp, so when it was reading colder it got confused. it should be good to go when you reconnect the battery.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
NC-Expy, when I clean my K&N filter, I take a garden hose and spray the living crap out of the filter. The pressure from a garden hose is not enough to damage a K&N filter. With that being said, do NOT!!!! use a pressure washer. That will damage it. Something along the lines of a garden hose is all the more pressure you want to use.

As for cleaning the MAF, I tend to pull it out, point the holes in the MAF straight up, squirt the MAF cleaner down the holes, bouncing the fluid off of the walls so I do not spray directly on the sensor itself.

As for the throttlebody, I get the intake out of the way, I put the straw on the can of throttlebody cleaner, I use my finger to open the throttlebody and I spray away anything that is brown in color. Make sure to especially hit the edge of the butterlfy valve as this is what will cause the throttle to stick some. Please note that if you have to use a lot of fluid (over say 1/3 of a can), the truck may be hard to start since you have essentially flooded the truck and it may also cause a CEL to come on.

EGR, get yourself some basic cleaner and use that to pull out the carbon build up. I would say to use some carb cleaner as that should eat up the carbon pretty well. Pull off, squirt down both sides really well and then reinstall.

IAC, kinda like the EGR valve, remove, spray really good with carb cleaner, but in this case, fill the holes with carb cleaner and let sit for a few minutes. From there, dump out the cleaner, squirt some more in there, let sit another few minutes and then dump out everything followed by installing on the truck.

OP
OP
NC-Expy

NC-Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
NC-Expy, when I clean my K&N filter, I take a garden hose and spray the living crap out of the filter. The pressure from a garden hose is not enough to damage a K&N filter. With that being said, do NOT!!!! use a pressure washer. That will damage it. Something along the lines of a garden hose is all the more pressure you want to use.

As for cleaning the MAF, I tend to pull it out, point the holes in the MAF straight up, squirt the MAF cleaner down the holes, bouncing the fluid off of the walls so I do not spray directly on the sensor itself.

As for the throttlebody, I get the intake out of the way, I put the straw on the can of throttlebody cleaner, I use my finger to open the throttlebody and I spray away anything that is brown in color. Make sure to especially hit the edge of the butterlfy valve as this is what will cause the throttle to stick some. Please note that if you have to use a lot of fluid (over say 1/3 of a can), the truck may be hard to start since you have essentially flooded the truck and it may also cause a CEL to come on.

EGR, get yourself some basic cleaner and use that to pull out the carbon build up. I would say to use some carb cleaner as that should eat up the carbon pretty well. Pull off, squirt down both sides really well and then reinstall.

IAC, kinda like the EGR valve, remove, spray really good with carb cleaner, but in this case, fill the holes with carb cleaner and let sit for a few minutes. From there, dump out the cleaner, squirt some more in there, let sit another few minutes and then dump out everything followed by installing on the truck.

Thanks Thermo, can always rely on you!

OP
OP
NC-Expy

NC-Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey man any luck with that cel goin away?

Yes, actually! Believe it or not, after replacing the IAT sensor all I did was spray the IAT sensor with some MAF cleaner and someway, somehow it made the code go away. Not going to argue with that! Went ahead and cleaned the MAF sensor too. Drastic improvement in throttle response. Will take me some time to measure accurate MPG ratings seeing as how I can't keep my foot off the gas pedal!

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, actually! Believe it or not, after replacing the IAT sensor all I did was spray the IAT sensor with some MAF cleaner and someway, somehow it made the code go away. Not going to argue with that! Went ahead and cleaned the MAF sensor too. Drastic improvement in throttle response. Will take me some time to measure accurate MPG ratings seeing as how I can't keep my foot off the gas pedal!

i need to get my hands on my friends cai and tb spacer. sounds like fun.