Cam Phaser issue scaring me from buying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Phase used in the 2020 model year engines are from a different manufacturer they do not have an issue. Plus the engine calibration has been changed to also improve the lock condition.

I have a 2018 Model Year Expedition without any Phaser issues. I disconnected the VDOP oil pressure sensor when I purchased the vehicle new to keep oil pressure in high mode all the time.

are there any negatives to disconnect f this oil pressure sensor you speak of?

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Phase used in the 2020 model year engines are from a different manufacturer they do not have an issue. Plus the engine calibration has been changed to also improve the lock condition.

I have a 2018 Model Year Expedition without any Phaser issues. I disconnected the VDOP oil pressure sensor when I purchased the vehicle new to keep oil pressure in high mode all the time.

First I've heard of the VDOP oil pressure sensor being disconnected. Did you disable it in Forscan, or physically disconnect it? Seems like it would throw error codes if disconnected.

Paul M

Reaction score
I owned a 2011 F150 Lariat 4X4 first generation/first year made 3.5 ecoboost with 278,000 miles when I traded it for my current 2020 Expedition. Other than a water pump, transmission solenoid, and routine maintenance it was as strong as the day I purchased it.

Mobil 1 and BG MOA (motor oil additive) every 5k, all other fluid changes every 50 -75 K, garage kept but driven daily not aggressively, but not "babied" either.

No problems yet with the 2020 Expy with 18,000 current miles.

Last edited:

Brent Wahl

Reaction score
Are there videos , with sound , comparing the phaser issue before and after repair?

cold start up start up sound differences?

Robert Bushnell

Reaction score
Hi, I just joined.

For some time now I've been planning to upgrade our tow vehicle, a 2006 120K mi. Armada 9000lbs tow capacity with a new Expedition with HD tow package.

But now I'm reading here about this unresolved cam phaser issue. As you see, we keep our vehicles a long time.

We have no use for a p/u truck and want to stay with an SUV.

But with this issue, should I look elsewhere? Obviously it's the folks that have had this problem that chime in on the cam phaser threads. But how universal is it? Is it bound to happen at high millage, or even before?

Thanks for any input
Paul

We have a 2019 Expo Platinum, no issues what so ever, Expedition is much better than the Armada, had a friend who bought a Armanda and traded it two weeks later, gas mileage was horrible.

Craig Payne

Reaction score
My 2 cents: At the end of the day, the Expedition still tops most charts for best full-size SUV. Even looking at CR which tends to over-index on reliability, the Expedition sits at the top in overall score, and the only full-size SUV with a higher reliability rating is the egregiously old but bullet-proof Toyota Sequoia. So while there will be issues that you might encounter with any vehicle, if you're looking for the greatest statistical likelihood of not running into major issues combined with a modern and highly functional full-size SUV, it's hard to do better then the Expedition.

Kreis

Reaction score
ok my 2018 expidition has rattled since day one I asked dealer they said use a better grade gas . I complained numerous times . No fix for it then , now I get a recall but dealers say they have. It received reprogram for it and it would be October before repair if it works . Well I found a dealer finally said they has the program . The tried it said it didn’t work now they want to pull the whole front off and repair cam phaser . I don’t know if I like this idea is this a temporary bandaid until warranty is out . I went to synthetic oil and change regularly I have requested a ford Rep to call me . Also the electronic have to be reset constantly puts the auto engine button and the radio comes on . Turn on ac the radio comes on . Ac quit working the reprogramed it now the rear Ac fan can not be controlled from the back . Only from the front they said 1200.00 will fix it . Hahahaha

cdog2964

Reaction score
We have a 2019 Expo Platinum, no issues what so ever, Expedition is much better than the Armada, had a friend who bought a Armanda and traded it two weeks later, gas mileage was horrible.
Definitely disagree with this one. We have a 2019 exp and a 2020 armada and the armada is way better in terms of build quality, no rattles where the exp sounds like it falling apart, and warranty issues. Bad cam phasors, leaky struts, air went out. The exp has 28k and the armada has 16k. armada has only been in the shop for oil changes.
That being said, yes, gas mileage stinks on the armada, but ill take that any day over arguing with the ferd dealer on why they cant fix the cam phasors...

Tmg115

Reaction score
All vehicles have their issues. GM's have injector issues. We just got rid of 3 Tahoe's with 5.3's and 2 of them had bad injectors.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01