Can I trust a 2015-2017 Expedition EL to be reliable AND to tow in Rockies?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rosko

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm hoping I can gain some insight from others here that are towing TTs at high elevation (or maybe just towing a large TT), and just get some general feedback from everyone here that owns the 2015-2017 ecoboost ELs.

Where I tow:
I will almost always be towing the "ike guantlet". I just call it I-70 here, but it is very very hard on tow vehicles, just like the youtube channel says. Lots of 6-7% grades.
Towing Elevation: 4500ft - 12000ft almost all of the time.

Trailer:
2010 Rockwood 2901SS (33ft TT, 5670 dry weight).

My latest CAT scale weigh in with my 2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500 w/8.1L
Steer Weight: 3440 lb
Drive Weight: 5240 lb
Trailer Weight: 5920 lb
Gross Weight: 14600 lb

I'm a little leery to "upgrade" from my old 2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500 because it has 3/4 ton axles, a straight rear axle and springs, but the expedition is MUCH more comfortable for my kids (4 of them), and general day to day is a much better vehicle than the Yukon.

I'm looking at some fleet vehicles for sale here, We have quite a few of the 2015-2017 Expedition ELs for sale around the 31-34k price range, with about 50k miles on them (rentals). I'm looking at the limited trim.

My biggest concern is while looking at the Carfax on several of them, I see rear differential issues being serviced or replaced, and rear main seals being replaced on the ecoboost. I know the rear main seal was a problem with the F150s too....but holy cow, this is super low mileage. I just talked to a dealership to test drive a 2017, I had to wait 2 days to test drive it because it was getting a new......you guessed it, rear diff and new rear main seal. WTH? Initially I thought....nah it's just people complaining on the internet, only a small percentage have those issues...but then locally I've found at least 3 in the short amount of searching I have performed.

Are the 2015-2017 expeditions with the ecoboost really that unreliable and prone to this happening? So far I've seen 3 locally with the exact same pattern of problems and miles, and they likely aren't even being used as tow vehicles at all.

Any thoughts/help/experience are appreciated from current owners.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do those rentals have the heavy duty towing package on them? You’ll need the 3.73 rear axle because that trailer is well over the 6000lb weight rating of the standard rear differential. And keep any eye on the payload and rear axle weight rating. Finally, you should try your question in the 3rd gen forum as this forum covers only the 2018 and on model years...

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Shane - He's in the right forum. You must have clicked on your old group!

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
The only reason I own an Expedition is to tow our camper. I specifically selected the Expedition based on its ability to do so easily. This is the first I've heard of rampant rear differential problems with the Expedition.

2017 Expedition EL 4x4 with the HD Tow option has a GCWR of 15,300 pounds and a maximum trailer weight of 9,300 pounds. Same ratings for the standard 3.31 axle and optional 3.73. Looks like a lot more capacity than your current truck. The trailer brake/stability on the 2017 is plug-and-play for your Rockwood.

The 3.5 EcoBoost develops more power as octane increases. Here in the little mountains I just run the same 87 octane I run every day even when towing my 5000+ pound trailer. Our mountains peak about where yours start though. Power decreases with altitude but the mechanical parts are not affected.

I know you're looking at used. The 2018 Expedition has a nine (9) speed transmission which may make it more suitable for mountain towing. I imagine these will hit the used market in a few months. Ya still need the factory HD tow option.

-- Chuck

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tow in the pacific northwest with my 17 EL, and my trailer weight is 6200 gross weight. I just towed up to 7200ft this weekend, from a starting elevation of 2300 without issue. This motor has tons of power and climbs hills like they were flat land. I have twice had an issue where the truck will say the engine coolant is overheating on a long steep grade in very hot weather (going to Yellowstone), but backing off on the throttle for 2 seconds returned the guage to normal so I think it was just a sensor fluke. If you'll be towing heavy at altitude, make sure you get a powertrain warranty or buy certified pre owned and do regular oil changes. A transmission fluid change every season (done at a Ford dealer of course) will look good on your maintence and carfax records too. You can get a 17 XLT EL with the 202a package (HD tow, nav, heated and cooled leather, remote start, power lift gate) for thar same price but only 30k ish miles. You only lose out on power running boards , 20" wheels and some chrome, but gain payload cause the XLT isn't as heavy.

OP
OP
R

Rosko

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I ended up picking up a 2017 limited that has a 2yr/100k miles powertrain warranty. We'll see how it goes, so far so good.

In my test drives with the camper with some winds on the interstate, it wiggles a lot more than my 3/4 ton Yukon XL, but I expected that with the IRS. It has more power though, and stops a lot better with the grade shifting and better brakes. I'll take it up the Ike here soon and give it a real test :).

MVIMG_20180805_194157.jpg

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I ended up picking up a 2017 limited that has a 2yr/100k miles powertrain warranty. We'll see how it goes, so far so good.

In my test drives with the camper with some winds on the interstate, it wiggles a lot more than my 3/4 ton Yukon XL, but I expected that with the IRS. It has more power though, and stops a lot better with the grade shifting and better brakes. I'll take it up the Ike here soon and give it a real test :).
Are you using a WDH?