Can you hear your fuel pump prime?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy_270

Reaction score

Not my video, but my Expedition just started making this noise. I have no doubt it’s the fuel pump priming and getting the truck ready to start, but why did my Expedition just start making the noise this year? I found a thread on the F150 forum, most people just try and argue that all Ford trucks make that noise, you just don’t notice it. I’m a person who notices every bump, squeak, creak, and rattle from my vehicles and I would put money on the fact that I’ve never heard that noise until this year. It doesn’t make the noise every time I open the door, I have to wait approximately 3 minutes in between each door opening for the sound to come back.

Does anyone else’s expedition make this noise when you open the drivers door?

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine makes a similar noise. It's done it as long as I can remember.

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just went and checked, I cant hear anything for 3+ minutes after the running board stows away. Hard to tell if I can hear it when I press the start button. When it stop raining, I'll have wifey jump in so I can get my head near the fule pump to listen.

OP
OP
Randy_270

Randy_270

Reaction score
My work F150 has only made the noise once that I’ve heard. I don’t drive it often but I’ve been paying attention after my Expedition start making the noise.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine has made that noise from Day 1, although only after the vehicle sits for a while. It’s totally normal.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine sits a lot and I have never heard that. My wife’s Aviator you can hear the fuel pump prime and the lights make a smiley face as you walk up to it with the key in your pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok I actually watched the video. Mine doesn’t make THAT noise. When it sits for a while, as soon as I open the driver’s door it primes the fuel pump but it just sounds like something cycling. For the longest time I thought it was actually the running board. But it’s softer than the noise in the video and doesn’t persist quite as long.