Cannot get rear CV axle to seat (with pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vsa77

Reaction score
2003 Eddie Bauer 4x4 AdvanceTrac

(This is not my vehicle, I'm just helping. I originally said it was a 2005 because that what I was told was on the title, but the door jam sticker says 02/03. I corrected the above)

Been having a hell of a time replacing the rear passenger CV axle. On the 4th trip to the parts store I sat someone in here mention counting the splines Because the VIN number was giving them the wrong CV axle. Sure enough heart story giving us one was 31 spines We need one with 34.

Thought we had it in last night. Even felt the ring sit in the differential. Let's drive it this morning and it had reverse but could not go forward. Turned out the axle had worked its way out a little bit.

We've been wiggling it and giving it everything from gentle love taps to "I AM THE GOD OF THUNDER" taps with Mjolnir. Cannot get it that final 1/4" in.

I searched Google and the forum, haven't found anyone that has had this issue.

Neighbors are complaining because we've had It's sitting in the driveway for a couple days so any haste we really appreciate it thank you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vsa77

vsa77

Reaction score
Precision CV Shafts FD-8282.
86574 is underneath the model number.

OP
OP
vsa77

vsa77

Reaction score
Pulled the CV shaft back out and turned out the keeper ring broke. Fished the pieces out and tried tapping it in without a ring, same result: Can't get it in that last 1/4"

OP
OP
vsa77

vsa77

Reaction score
Here is what we're looking at. We suspected the CV axle was butting up against something inside the differential, so we used a paint pen and put paint on the end of it to see. Sure enough, it's hitting something that's held in place with a lock ring.

VideoCapture_20230427-234920.jpg
(Yes, he used a bit too much paint)

I'm not really familiar with differentials, so my questions are:
1. What is it hitting (is not the end of the other axle),
2. Why is it preventing the CV axle from seating, and
3. How do we correct this?

OP
OP
vsa77

vsa77

Reaction score
Update 3
Apparently that piece in the above pic is the end of the old CV axle, which snapped off at the ring...which is also inside, doing it's job.

Now my question is: Does anyone have any tips or personal experience removing a broken CV axle from inside the differential? I've searched Google, saw some ingenious ways to pull it out, but we don't have a welder, air compressor, etc. I'm basically having to MacGuyver this thing.

The Haynes manual outlines how to remove the differential. I'm in favor of it, but the owner is reluctant. I don't think he's going to have a choice.

Tractmec

Reaction score
He doesn't have a choice. The housing will have to come out and there may be a Differential side gear change needed!
There was a TSB on this that I read way back but I can't seem to find it now! This is Likely one of the early builds(Built before the middle of March 03 Referred to in TSB) that had a problem with the C ring groove both not having a radius in the axle groove and missing a small chamfer on the Side Gear splines and a machining burr on both the side gear splines and the Axel Splines! The chamfer and the radius were to compress the C ring when the force from the axle removal tool forced the axle out of the side gear! These Machining mistakes would cause the Axel to be difficult if not impossible to remove without removing the complete housing and disassembling it!

I have not heard of the Axel end breaking at the C ring grove however it is possible if the inside diameter of the groove was not machined with a radius to prevent a crack starting from the C ring groove and progressing across the axle end! The TSB I mentioned only referred to axles that could not be removed with the normal removal methods!

The shaft you removed would be missing the end from the groove out and from your Picture it looks like there is a piece of the original C ring in the Side gear spline and it could very well be a Piece of an axel beyond that! In normal axel removal you would see the sipider gear cross shaft and in locking differentials quite likely a little bit of the S Spring visible and no piece of the C Ring! It should be open right into the center of the differential!

Bad News I know but one way or another that Differential housing is coming out!

Edit to add the TSB 03-9-1 as I finally found it And it was builds before 02/17/03. I have attached a .pdf of the TSB below

Attachments

• Expy CRV Removal.pdf
    794.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett