Can't seem to find a rear-lift air bag system compatible with my 2010 EB Expy...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Been looking online and every site that I see that sells any brand of rear-air bag lift system never has any results for a 2010 Expy. Mine is an EB, 2x4 and when I tow my RV there is quite a bit of sag that I'd like to eliminate. I do use an Equalizer tow system, but the rear end still sags.

Has anyone purchased an aftermarket air bag lift system for a 2010 Expy? I don't need the fancy interior gauges or controls, just the add air to the system from the valve.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can't help RE: air springs but if you can't find anything that works you might consider retrofitting factory hydraulic load-leveling shocks. I think these came out around 2012-13 (as a cost-saving measure to eliminate the rear air suspension) and continued through 2017. I don't know if anyone's done this swap, but it seems straightforward. You'll need new rear socks, springs, and mounting hardware. I think the cost is around $700.

I'm considering this swap on my truck because earlier this year I drove a 2014 EL Limited with this setup that had just under 30K miles and it had the smoothest ride of any Expedition I've driven that wasn't equipped with the CCD suspension option. And, it had 20-inch wheels. Much to my surprise, it had a smoother ride than my (new-to-me) '17 XLT with 18-inch wheels and stock suspension. I am guessing that was due to the tires and the hydraulic rear shocks that are softer than regular gas shocks.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Dave --

I strongly suspect your Equalizer hitch is not set right. By definition if the rear is sagging you're not transferring enough weight from the rear axle. Both axles should compress equally. Likely your front isn't compressing at all since you mentioned squirrelly handling in the other message -- typically the result from weight being removed from the front (steering) axle.

Ford trailer receivers (on the bumper) are pretty sloppy any you will need several washers in the Equalizer hitch head to get the angle correct.

2403343520046203164eDFqxh_fs.jpg 473559706cJnPER_ph.jpg

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an equalizer as well. I have the maximum amount of washers installed to tilt the head , seven is the max allowed. I too have more sag than I like. I posted yesterday for anyone that may have experience with SumoSprings installed in the coils, this is really the only option that I have seen.

One response was a lift kit as well. I am considering doing both as I cannot do anymore adjusting with my equalizer. The TT tows steady and true and I dont get blown around, I would jusyt like to sit more level when hitched up.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Make sure the hitch head is high enough as shown in one of my photos above. This setting handles a 700+ pound (on occasion) tongue weight.

I have the 10,000 pound Equalizer. The smaller version may not provide enough weight transfer.

2810871140046203164mIMvUW_fs.jpg

OP
OP
F

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chuck, I think I'll play with the setting some more since I think you could be right but when I did talk to the Equalizer support guys, they said that sag was "ok" as long as the front axle wasn't too high or too low of the allowable margin. My last adjustment I have 6 washers and I went up one hole in height. I think I'll add the last washer and maybe go up another hole on the head.

Getting these things tuned in is a pain in the rear if you ask me. If I had the same load every trip it would be easy, but every trip I take has more or less weight in the vehicle and it throws it all off.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The front axle needs to depress from where it was, otherwise no weight is being transferred there. This applies to any WDH. Most of those I see in parking lots (usually with some chain gizmos) are not set transferring any weight to the front axle. The trailer axle also gets weight transferred to it which is why playing with hitch height comes into play as well as the hear angle.

Towing level is a symptom of proper weight distribution, not the goal as level towing can be achieved by several means (like air bags or welding the shocks into solid tubes) which don't help towing at all and the front end can be very light due to weight removed from the steering axle.

Quite a bit of trial and error involved for me. If a dealer or someone did it in half an hour it could need tuning. Getting the whole hitch in the right holes is important. You can see where mine is.

I weighed my tongue and was surprised it was over 700 pounds.

-- Chuck

OP
OP
F

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dave --

I strongly suspect your Equalizer hitch is not set right. By definition if the rear is sagging you're not transferring enough weight from the rear axle. Both axles should compress equally. Likely your front isn't compressing at all since you mentioned squirrelly handling in the other message -- typically the result from weight being removed from the front (steering) axle.

Ford trailer receivers (on the bumper) are pretty sloppy any you will need several washers in the Equalizer hitch head to get the angle correct.

View attachment 26075 View attachment 26076

Chuck, how many washers are you using in your setup in these pics? I'm definitely going to raise my ball hitch and right now I have 7 washers and just now moved up the ball the same height I see as you. I don't know my tounge weight, so I'm not sure how it's going to change the dynamics. I'm sure I'll have to play around a bit with it. I have the same 10,000 pound system.

Last edited: