2015-2016 Rear Load-Leveling Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rowekmr

Reaction score
I am looking at a 2015-2016 Ford Expedition and when looking up the Ford sales brochures I see that there is a mechanical rear load-leveling listing in the descriptions but under the vehicle options it just says rear load leveling suspension as an option for the XLT, Limited, King Ranch and Platinum.

I have owned 2006-2010 Expedition/Navigators with the rear air suspension and wanted to know is it the same on the 2015-2016 model in which there are air struts, air compressor and height sensors that tell the system when to inflate or deflate? What threw me off is that in the description it says it is mechanical as opposed to air.

I really liked the rear air suspension on the earlier models for towing.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am looking at a 2015-2016 Ford Expedition and when looking up the Ford sales brochures I see that there is a mechanical rear load-leveling listing in the descriptions but under the vehicle options it just says rear load leveling suspension as an option for the XLT, Limited, King Ranch and Platinum.

I have owned 2006-2010 Expedition/Navigators with the rear air suspension and wanted to know is it the same on the 2015-2016 model in which there are air struts, air compressor and height sensors that tell the system when to inflate or deflate? What threw me off is that in the description it says it is mechanical as opposed to air.

I really liked the rear air suspension on the earlier models for towing.

The rear load-leveling suspension option on the 2015-2016 Expedition models were Nivomat mechanical load leveling rear shocks.

The load-leveling option was not an air suspension.

I do not know if the rear springs were different on the models with the optional load-leveling rear shocks.

rslynes

Reaction score
How do these mechanical shocks work to adjust for weight?

They're actually electrically operated, quite good...and quite expensive to replace.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

They're actually electrically operated, quite good...and quite expensive to replace.

The Nivomat load-leveling rear shocks mentioned above are not electrically operated - they are mechanical.

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"Nivomats are self-leveling monotube shock absorbers designed by Sachs, which utilize the movement of the vehicle between the chassis and the body to create mechanical energy. They are typically mounted in the rear of the vehicle and are self-contained meaning they have no air compressors or air lines.

The way they work is as the load increases (such as with cargo and passengers) the pressure increases in the shock displacing fluid from its internal reservoir to its valving system increasing the spring rate essentially preventing the vehicle from “squatting". It has a pump mechanism and oil reservoir that increases the pressure to its accumulator therefore lifting or leveling the vehicle. It also increases the damping force without sacrificing the ride quality.

The rear of a car with Nivomat self-leveling shocks may sag while parked because the Nivomat is mechanical and the vehicle needs to be moving in order for the pump to build pressure thus leveling the vehicle. It may take between 1-2 miles for the shock to reach its full effect. It’s normal for the vehicle to lower when not in motion.

Even though the conventional shocks may fit, It is not recommended that you replace your Nivomats with traditional shock absorbers. If the vehicle was originally equipped with Nivomats then it is recommended that they are to be replaced with Nivomats only. If conventional shocks are installed the vehicle may permanently sag about two inches or so and the vehicle’s ride quality will suffer".