Things to check for with intermittent ride height control on 2010 Exp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drewmo

Reaction score
Hi all, my old faithful 2010 Expedition which I've had since new (120kmiles) has developed a curious problem: I just had new tires fitted all around, and about a week later, set off from home and got about 1/4mile before the system suddenly decided it would completely deflate the air ride. We bounced along on the stops for a few miles to my buddies house. Came out later, restarted the car to go home, and as we drove off, it reinflated itself, so that all was good by the time we got home. Took it back to the tire shop (WheelWorks), they checked it over night and said the system was all good... (I'll just mention that I did have Ford replace the air bags 6 years ago, when they just crapped out and couldn't reinflate). So I drove it for a few more days, no problem, air compressor occassionally coming on as normal. Then, a few days later, same thing, got about half a mile on a short trip to the stores, and I'm riding a low rider again! Come out from the store, restart, all inflated again by the time I got home. So figuring WheelWorks were not the most savvy guys in town, I booked it into Ford, clearly explaining that this was not a catastrophic failure like 6 yrs ago, but a random intermittent thing (it was up when I left it with them). They called me the next day and told me I needed new air struts in the rear and a new controller module, and it would cost about $5000. Gulp!!! Now, I'm not ready to pull the trigger on a full system replacement at this point - it sounds like shotgun approach to fixing the problem to me - so I'm going to do some digging into it myself first. Any thoughts or suggestions on most likely causes or troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated. If I can pinpoint the problem, I'll post it back here. Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire