Cargo capacity question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ledterrapin

Reaction score
Hi all - first time poster. I was hoping some real owners could help me.

Here's the situation: I've got a golf/spring training trip planned for Florida in March. I'm in the process of renting a car, and my preferred rental place offers Expedition ELs (model year unknown, but likely on the newer side). I need to know whether I have any chance of fitting 6 men, 6 golf bags, 6 pieces of carry-on luggage, and maybe some assorted backpacks. It would only be loaded as such for about 1 hour to-and-from the airport.

My thinking is that I might have a shot, since the 2nd row has seating for 3 people and I can fold down two of the 3rd-row seats. That would give me 6 passenger seats with a lot of cargo space. Is it enough space? That's where I defer to the experts here.

Many thanks in advance.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all - first time poster. I was hoping some real owners could help me.

Here's the situation: I've got a golf/spring training trip planned for Florida in March. I'm in the process of renting a car, and my preferred rental place offers Expedition ELs (model year unknown, but likely on the newer side). I need to know whether I have any chance of fitting 6 men, 6 golf bags, 6 pieces of carry-on luggage, and maybe some assorted backpacks. It would only be loaded as such for about 1 hour to-and-from the airport.

My thinking is that I might have a shot, since the 2nd row has seating for 3 people and I can fold down two of the 3rd-row seats. That would give me 6 passenger seats with a lot of cargo space. Is it enough space? That's where I defer to the experts here.

Many thanks in advance.
With an EL you will have no problem with that load even if your buddies have the hard case shipping bags. You could fold down 2/3s of the 3rd row and have plenty of extra room and put somebody in the third row to give the 2 2nd row guys more room.

Oldnerdguy

Reaction score
If needed, you could use a cargo carrier on the hitch for the trip back and forth, for extra space.
Just put the carrier in the cargo area while parked at the airport.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
6 grown men 6 golf bags and 6 bags of luggage. It’s gonna be tight

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could fold one seat in 3rd row one seat in 2nd row for a bunch of golf bags

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think weight will be the issue, but volume, especially the golf bags. If it's an 8-seater (which it probably is) you can fold down 2/3 of the rearmost seat and still have seat belts for everyone. I don't have a problem fitting in the third row of my EL, but I'm not a huge guy (5'9", 220)

If you did that I'd bet you could fit all the bags in, but I still think it'll be tight.

brick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should fit, but it will be tight. Why not get two vehicles and be comfortable?

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you considered a larger van? You've left yourself absolutely no room to store the beer.

Menard LaDouche

Reaction score
You do have a roof rack, so bring some straps and put 150 pounds up there. Otherwise, it is gonna be tight, depending how high the golf bags stack.

Plati

Reaction score
I've done a lot of golf trips (Canada, Myrtle) with friends. Tight or beyond tight depending on ACTUAL luggage used. Couple kickers 1)anybody use a hard carrying case or all small carry bags with canvas airplane bags? 2)how much luggage and what size?​

I tell people to leave hard suitcase home and pack in a crushable bag (duffel type) so they all compress into available space. That can make the difference. I'm visualizing the second row enjoying the ride with a set of clubs across their laps. What fun! You can always bring rope and have them sticking out the open back gate with rope holding it all together.

Clubs may not really be a factor when you arrive anyway, fairly good chance the airline fails to get one or more sets of clubs there on time anyway. Ship Sticks is an option too, more reliable.

Rent another vehicle like brick advised. Have fun, do it right. 6 guys on a multi day golf trip you need 2 vehicles anyway. Togetherness is one thing but having options is good. Some folks will want to play a second 18 holes on any given day and others will want to go to the beach. Bring lots of golf balls, fairways are also TIGHT in Florida.

Comment about cooler is spot on. Tradition to have a beer or two (not driver) in course parking lot to review game and distribute gambling awards post round. I frequently have a hard time convincing the participants that they can NOT drink while we drive to Hooters.

Just a warning though, if you do rent an EL ... be prepared to buy one within a year!

Last edited: