Cargo tie downs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ed Fogle

Reaction score
I need some cargo tie downs to hold a mini-golf cart, 305# in place in my 2017 Expedition. I'm thinking I only need to keep it from going forward so I could put two on the channel between the closed hatch and the carpeted area where the ribbed plastic is. It probably covers a closed metal channel, if I guess right.

So, two possibilities are some trailer bed d-ring assemblies but this would require cutting the plastic and screwing them to the metal channel. Another thought is d-rings attached to simple metal pieces with screw/bolt holes in them and put them in with sheet metal screws when I need them and unscrew them when I don't.

My preferred idea, though, would be permanent bolt receivers in this channel that are either threaded or accept a d-ring attached to a pin with ears that go down in this receiver then turn 90 degrees to lock in place. This or the previous idea should only require a hole be drilled.

Again, I am assuming that is a hollow channel under that plastic piece. I can get by without forward tie downs although I would like them. But I can use blocks behind the rear wheels and ratchet straps attached to the d-rings and secure the rear wheels between the two.

Any thoughts on these or other means to my ends? I don't know where to find the female receptacles for my favored idea. I'll look at Harbor Freight, Northern Equipment, trailer manufacturers and truck stops. I haven't found anything online.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
just a thought, what ever you decide, use nuts and bolts through the metal to some good sized washers on the underside.
cargo ring tie downs for aircraft interior cargo deck tie downs, they are low profile and lay flat when not in use.. roughly a 3" x 4 " oval pattern.

or tractor supply sells E track in 2 foot lenghts
you can get one and cut it to the right size, plus the E track D rings pop on and off to leave a flat track mount

E trailer has them as well
https://www.etrailer.com/E-Track/Erickson/EM59150.html
https://www.etrailer.com/Tie-Down-Anchors/Erickson/59131.html

i have many thousands of mile son my E track stuff to hold the expy to the trailer

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Ed Fogle

Reaction score
Thanks powerboatr.

I've found some possibilities in aircraft tie downs.

Ed

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
Ed, please keep us posted with what you end up doing. Pictures would be great. Adding cargo tie-downs is on my TDL.

OP
OP
E

Ed Fogle

Reaction score
Amazon offers track style removable cargo rings from Moto4u in circular and rectangular base form factor. Their made for bolt and nut mounting but to place them on the channel that the rear hatch latch is mounted in requires blind nuts.

This can be done with a rivnut tool such as the one from Craftsman Capitol. https://craftsmancapitol.com/collec...smancapitol-premium-easy-automatic-rivet-tool

If I can be sure there are no wire on that channel or under the plastic trim that covers it I think I will install them. The round ones will be easiest since I can use a hole drill on the plastic cover.

If you get under the car you’ll see there are some openings on the channel I am referring to. Should be able to check for wires through them. Does anyone know if there are wires in this channel or under the plastic trim on top?