Catalytic Converter question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

x5TA1NERx

Reaction score
So about a month ago the CEL popped up and I stopped at the local AZ for some free assistance. 02 sensor codes popped on and I chalked it up to an 08 with 162,000 miles. 1 month later under hard gas pedal pressure, little acceleration is happening. I take it in and am told both converters are clogged and need to be replaced. Not a massive deal as again, its an 08 with 163,000 miles at this point.

What got me was the $2,200 repair cost request. So I'm curious if anyone has had any luck with this as a replacement. https://www.ebay.com/itm/231999679328

I believe they are busted as I can hear one rattle but am not super motivated to pay $2,200 for what appears to be about $500 in parts (with 4 new 02 sensors) and should be around 2 hours of labor.

Anyone else had to replace theirs? What did you do?

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So about a month ago the CEL popped up and I stopped at the local AZ for some free assistance. 02 sensor codes popped on and I chalked it up to an 08 with 162,000 miles. 1 month later under hard gas pedal pressure, little acceleration is happening. I take it in and am told both converters are clogged and need to be replaced. Not a massive deal as again, its an 08 with 163,000 miles at this point.

What got me was the $2,200 repair cost request. So I'm curious if anyone has had any luck with this as a replacement. https://www.ebay.com/itm/231999679328

I believe they are busted as I can hear one rattle but am not super motivated to pay $2,200 for what appears to be about $500 in parts (with 4 new 02 sensors) and should be around 2 hours of labor.

Anyone else had to replace theirs? What did you do?

I’m not familiar with the brand, but I’d take the risk at that over $2,200.
In your shoes, I’d go to an exhaust shop, have them bend me a new Y-pipe, and then add a single universal cat on that. A pair of O2 sensor CEL eliminators will handle that portion of it, and be done the cheapest way possible.

tim5055

Reaction score
Yup, you want a good mom & pop mechanic shop or family run exhaust shop. Both are hard to find and worth their weight in gold. Their are aftermarket cats available for most vehicles, but not all.

From my "running a fleet days", one of our drivers decided to take a shortcut over a curb. Took out two cats on a vehicle with no aftermarket cats available. Close to $5,000 by the time the day was over......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik