Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jake Oleszak

Reaction score
After dealing with a ton of no-start, misfire, and excessive rich conditions, I believe my passenger side catalytic converter is done for.

My 05 Expedition EB 5.4L 3V 4x4 takes some time to start. It cranks for a good 5 seconds when cold starting and has a rough idle in drive gears and reverse. It seems to be fine (or at least a whole lot better) in park and neutral.

A little recent history - Originally had a misfire and gave codes P0302 and P2196. Replaced fuel filter, air filter, cleaned throttle body,and replaced plug/coil, car wouldn't start (only click). Replaced the starter with no success on starting. Removed the belt, cranked engine manually, car finally started but very slowly and painfully. Puffed a bunch of white smoke and smelled bad of raw fuel. After playing around with some stuff and taking to the dealer, they discovered codes P2196, P2198, and P0113. I replaced the MAF sensor and both B1S1 and B2S1 O2 sensors. Now the only code I had was the P2196. Took back to the dealership who confirmed a misfire still exists in cylinder 2 at low RPMs (misfire appeared to stabilize at higher RPMs). Got back home, replaced the new plug in cylinder 2 with a Motorcraft plug and coil (the originial ones I replaced with were not Motorcraft, I've learned my lesson). Fuel smell went away completely, but rough idle and hard start still exist.

I took it out for a drive last night and checked the cats when I got back. The passenger side (bank 1) was glowing inside. I believe this was a result of the misfire I fought with, but I can't be sure the problem is compeltely gone until the cat is replaced. As far as I understand, a plugged cat can cause these rough conditions.

Anyone have any suggestions on cat replacement? really just looking for a universal that can be welded in place if at all possible. I don't know exactly know which ones I should be looking at buying. I think it needs an O2 sensor port on the top.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thank you.

OP
OP
J

Jake Oleszak

Reaction score
Well, as happened to me on friday, clogged cats will throw a spark plug out of the block! So I wouldn't wait too long on fixing it... :(

I just ordered mine today and it should be here by the end of the week lol.

I was fortunate enough to have the manifold flange bolts and the clamp bolt come out with a breaker bar. The flange bolts to the muffler will have to be cut though lol. I’m stoked to have a working vehicle again lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just ordered mine today and it should be here by the end of the week lol.

I was fortunate enough to have the manifold flange bolts and the clamp bolt come out with a breaker bar. The flange bolts to the muffler will have to be cut though lol. I’m stoked to have a working vehicle again lol

Nice! I hope mine comes back working!

Ulver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Figured I could just post here since the topic is already made. I'm going to be replacing both front cats soon, and I want to use pipe adapter/connector and clamps for this job. The inside diameter of the cats I'm getting show 2.5'', and I'm seeing many on my local parts store website that recommends the 2.5'' I.D. and 2.5'' O.D. I feel like the 2.5 I.D.'' side will adversely butt up against one side. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jake Oleszak

Reaction score
Figured I could just post here since the topic is already made. I'm going to be replacing both front cats soon, and I want to use pipe adapter/connector and clamps for this job. The inside diameter of the cats I'm getting show 2.5'', and I'm seeing many on my local parts store website that recommends the 2.5'' I.D. and 2.5'' O.D. I feel like the 2.5 I.D.'' side will adversely butt up against one side. Any recommendations?

Are you talking about the direct fit cats? Like, the entire pipe assembly from manifold flanges to muffler?

Ulver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, just the individual cats that range from $75-$100. I think I figured I could just find one that isn't 2.5" ID on either side and I'll be fine.

OP
OP
J

Jake Oleszak

Reaction score
I bought a direct fit for my passenger side cat and had an issue fitting the slip joint between the left and right aides. The direct fit was supposedly the same size as the old one, but the flaired end of the slip had like, 1/4 inch overlap. I had to get it cut out and welded together.

I would assume any cats you get might require some additional connector pieces or, if you have to, rent a pipe expander from Advance Auto and open it up a bit more for a proper fit. Seal it with some muffler putty and a clamp and it should be fine.