Catalytic or cat lock DIY?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Aside from voting for more money for all, I'd be interested in any creative measures to keep converters attached to their trucks. Damn cordless Sawzall's a hard game to beat. TheMostVulnerable saw through roofs in Blue States with those.

Wrap a length of exhaust and the converters with something like hardware (chicken) wire bolted to itself with muffler clamps. Ever try to cut a net of that crap with a Sawzall? It's nearly impossible if it's loosely wound. Just bounces around with the blade.

If you're really ghetto, you can mount a net of chain link fence to the frame rails. A lot of cutting to get through that, but the chicken wire tunnel would be harder to cut. I used to cut this crap out from under trains that ran over them, and I usually had to resort to a torch.

How about a skid shield with tamper-proof bolts? You'd need to make a custom one. My '08 has factory skid plates on the engine, transfer case and tank. They cover everything but the converters. Looks like you could adapt a steel plate from some other truck and protect the converters' area, bolting it right to the frame rails.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like the chicken wire idea.

Back in the 80s car stereo headset thefts were a problem-a friend placed razor blade up near the back of the head unit. Maybe I should make the area around the catalytic look like something from Road Warrior.

thx

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
This is real funny stuff.
Honda-Accord-Catalytic-Converter-Theft_20.jpg

Last edited:

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^The most asinine thing I've read yet today. But I'm sure you'll raise the bar again in a bit. You always do.

Just go shoot someone messing with your car. You'll never draw a breath of free air again, especially in CA..lol

Missouri here, and about as pro 2A as it gets, and even here you can't shoot someone for tampering with a MV.

If you even come out the door with a gun, and someone is trying to jack your ride, it's likely going to be turned on you, and result in a weapons assault charge.

Of course, if you're a land owner....different story.

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some ideas.

Get a cut proof chain and have an exhaust shop weld it along the exhaust securing everything together.

Or get hardened steel rods and and weld them to either ends of the exhaust tube. Don't weld it to the cat so you can still service it. They can cut the exhaust tube, but not the rod, ant it wont rattle like the chain might.

You wont stop them if they really want it but it will be more effort than it's worth and they will move onto the next one.

TDBDLB

Reaction score
Only thing is make it harder so they go some where else easier, maybe Run some razor wire back fort on frame?

Swapped cats on a Caddy recently, gave used ones to my scrapping nephew. Scrap yard (Georgia) required I show up with title of my car and DL# before would accept them, he made $60.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A few years ago, had some knobs make an attempt to steal gas and fuel from some ag equipment. Some of it was under wireless camera surveillance, and I got an alert that there was movement.

I went over, saw a truck on the road in front of the gate (gate has a large chain and padlock). I parked just below the crest of the hill beyond, and proceeded on foot to the equipment, very stealthily. I sneaked in and found a good spot and sat there for about 15 minutes. Was in an fairly obvious spot and when the one guy saw he literally fell backwards on his ass and held his hands up. Of course I had the 12ga Mossberg for defense in case things went south....they were hot footing out without their freshly liquidated go-fast juice, right into the waiting arms of the sheriff's deputy that I thoughtfully had called on my little hike in.

While security cams may not be an answer, they work for me. I have some wireless units that can be mounted within certain distance, have some electricity out there, and a t mobile wireless modem for 'net. Have an app that alerts me with a screenshot of whatever makes movement on a cam. Usually a deer, sometimes *****, and once, a bobcat. Only ever had the 3 shitheads that were caught redhanded trying to steal gas...I guess word spreads.

Personally, I think thieves ought to be hung, but that is me.

Bastards cut the fuel lines and that amounted to close to 2 grand in parts and my time. 12ga slugs are a lot cheaper, but one has to catch em before they take bolt cutters to stuff...

Oh well, at least I was there before they put the jugs of gas in their truck and hauled it off.

I doubt I'd shoot someone for cutting my cats off my trucks, but they would be sporting some serious black eye and bloody noses, for sure. I don't mind a good scrap or two.. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cfarnAK