Catalytic or cat lock DIY?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
A few years ago, had some knobs make an attempt to steal gas and fuel from some ag equipment. Some of it was under wireless camera surveillance, and I got an alert that there was movement.

I went over, saw a truck on the road in front of the gate (gate has a large chain and padlock). I parked just below the crest of the hill beyond, and proceeded on foot to the equipment, very stealthily. I sneaked in and found a good spot and sat there for about 15 minutes. Was in an fairly obvious spot and when the one guy saw he literally fell backwards on his ass and held his hands up. Of course I had the 12ga Mossberg for defense in case things went south....they were hot footing out without their freshly liquidated go-fast juice, right into the waiting arms of the sheriff's deputy that I thoughtfully had called on my little hike in.

While security cams may not be an answer, they work for me. I have some wireless units that can be mounted within certain distance, have some electricity out there, and a t mobile wireless modem for 'net. Have an app that alerts me with a screenshot of whatever makes movement on a cam. Usually a deer, sometimes *****, and once, a bobcat. Only ever had the 3 shitheads that were caught redhanded trying to steal gas...I guess word spreads.

Personally, I think thieves ought to be hung, but that is me.

Bastards cut the fuel lines and that amounted to close to 2 grand in parts and my time. 12ga slugs are a lot cheaper, but one has to catch em before they take bolt cutters to stuff...

Oh well, at least I was there before they put the jugs of gas in their truck and hauled it off.

I doubt I'd shoot someone for cutting my cats off my trucks, but they would be sporting some serious black eye and bloody noses, for sure. I don't mind a good scrap or two.. :)
I had a family member do (what sounds like) almost the same thing in Indiana. He was a Farmer and people were stealing gas from his farm supply tank. Waited for them with a gun ... caught them red handed and held them with the gun. Long story short HE got charged with something (kidnapping I think) and it was a while before it was settled but it was not pretty. I dont know the laws (different in every state) or all the details but you sure do get into some gray areas when you take the law into your own hands.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just happened to be lucky (and knew) that it was rabbit season, and my farm, so I had a legitimate reason to be carrying a 12ga. None of the thieves business what it was loaded with however. LOL

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a family member do (what sounds like) almost the same thing in Indiana. He was a Farmer and people were stealing gas from his farm supply tank. Waited for them with a gun ... caught them red handed and held them with the gun. Long story short HE got charged with something (kidnapping I think) and it was a while before it was settled but it was not pretty. I dont know the laws (different in every state) or all the details but you sure do get into some gray areas when you take the law into your own hands.
It seems like anytime there is a gun involved you have to think about every step you take. As an example if someone approaches you and threatens your life, shooting is all good until the minute they turn to run.

Steve Hartman

Reaction score
Sadly catalytic converter theft is on the rise in Orange County, CA. Sheriffs department has arrested several theft rings but it keeps happening each week within a 5 mile radius.
Several anti theft products are a combination of cables or plates.

Weeeell..... I can think of a round about way, maybe. Get yourself a small 12 volt relay. One side of the coil goes to the battery and the other side goes to ground using high temp wire (oven wire?) and a lug grounded to the cat. And you'd want to make that grounded connection clearly visible to the suspected thief. Maybe right on the bottom so that he knows the wire has to come off before he can take the cat! Then you would use the "normally closed" contacts on the relay. On one side of the contacts you'd use the positive HOT at the coil terminal and a jumper to connect to one side of that contact. The other side of the contact would go to the horn with an off/on toggle somewhere in between easy to get to. (under the dash near the steering wheel?) This, assuming that one side of the horn is already grounded to the frame through its mount. When power is provided to the relay, which would be all the time, the contacts would would open and stay in the open position. If the wire to the cat is cut, the circuit is cut,the relay drops out, closes the contacts and the horn goes off!
I guess the question is: Will the thief cut the wire before he cuts your exhaust pipe or after? But for sure, he's not going to take it with him when that horn goes off. :)

P.S. I doubt that a real small relay would have much of an impact on your battery even though it would be hot all the time.. And you could probably get by with 10 amp contacts in the relay. The on/off switch wherever you put it would be to turn the horn off from the alternate feed from the relay after it goes off! LOL! Wouldn't want the neighbors mad at you in the middle of the night! :O The horn should still function normally from the horn button. I'd guess the cost at about $25 total, but way less if the relay and toggle switch are bought on ebay and you're willing to wait a couple of days. Good Luck!

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It seems like anytime there is a gun involved you have to think about every step you take. As an example if someone approaches you and threatens your life, shooting is all good until the minute they turn to run.

Most of it depends on whether that person's state has a castle doctrine law or something to that effect in place. Basically you're right though....shoot till the threat is stopped, whether it's due to the perp running away, giving up, or dying. That's what my CCW trainer told me years ago. He's military, SWAT team leader (or was)...been to several 'Stans carrying the Flag...he's been there, done that, and you can have the t-shirt..

But to sit here and speak online of "what you should do" is a folly. Every single situation is different and knowing your state's laws is key to staying out of prison for presenting a gun during an encounter.

I've been carrying concealed for years now, there's a distinct reason that I won't go into here, and I'm no stranger to firearms. Been shooting for something like 37 years now, did some comp stuff for a few years as well, shotguns, some rifle stuff. It's....a little expensive.

These days I just prefer to collect some Walther stuff and knives.

Keeping out of a bad situation is easier than acting and reacting once you're in one. Once you have a firearm you can shoot well, get a great holster, practice drawing with it and finding a target....do this till it becomes instinct and muscle memory. Then go somewhere where they teach drills and have scenarios. Force on force training and whatnot too.

I have a cousin who was in some group that went some places and did shit that nobody knows about. He taught me a few things that go a long way in leaving a person laying on the ground, struggling to breathe..or maybe not breathing at all. Honestly, as much as we have drilled in that, I'm better off using that than presenting a gun to a threat, considering that i was picking off golf balls from 100 yards away with a scoped .22 before I was 10.

All one needs to do is practice, and know what you can legally do, and can't...

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rolls of concertina wire under the frame to about 5 inches of road clearance.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

2010ELExpy4x4

Reaction score
I live in Orange County Ca and had the Cat stolen from my F250 4x4 (very easy to get under, not that that matters, because they stole one from my neighbors civic), Less than a minute it took the three %$@#*&'s to cut it off.
From time I heard the noise, processed it and ran out, they were driving away only got partial plate). Police took report, said happens a lot, not much they can do.
Cost over $400 for new cat truck has a 460 cat is huge.
I built box/skid plate attached with carriage bolts (was a pain to attach nuts for me so would be time consuming for thieves) also wired alarm similar to Steve Hartman's suggestion.
Not sure how the cats are on a 2016 but the ones on our 2010 are already fairly hard to get to, Just depends on how much time they have I guess.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
In NYC the police no longer take reports for property damage or theft under $5K as they've been "defunded". You're on your own. It has gotten pretty ugly with people defending their property.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In NYC the police no longer take reports for property damage or theft under $5K as they've been "defunded". You're on your own. It has gotten pretty ugly with people defending their property.

I worked in NYC for years and was robbed/burgled many times. NYPD has never taken reports for theft without extreme protest as they consider it a lost cause. Defunding hasn't and won't change anything on that front. They just don't consider theft a solvable crime in most cases.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I worked in NYC for years and was robbed/burgled many times. NYPD has never taken reports for theft without extreme protest as they consider it a lost cause. Defunding hasn't and won't change anything on that front. They just don't consider theft a solvable crime in most cases.
And the crooks know it