Ceramic brake pads?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

Anyone found Ceramic brake pads for an '03?
I was at the dealer, they said that they didn't have anything. They had the plain Motorcraft pads. I think ceramic pads would solve the tremendous amount of dust.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
03-mn-exp,

I have them in my '98 EB (Raybestos), but I saw on a previous thread that they were not available for the '03 as of yet.

On the same thread it was stated that Ford was working on a new friction material that would dust less, but no word has been given as to there introduction.

OP
OP
G

Stillen sells great ones. Just put them on my 03 and it's clean as a wistle.

NoDonut

Reaction score
Has anyone else used the Stillen brake pads?
I am considering it and am also considering the Stillen cross drilled rotors.
Anybody else out there with any feedback on either one of these two options?

NoDonut

Reaction score
I just went in for a routine service on our 2003 Exoy and (I did miss a couple) was advised that the front pads were down to about 15% of pad left.
We have 19000 miles (cant stop driving it), on our Expy and since it appeared as if I needed to have the front pads replaced, I was not about to go with the standard FORD issued pads and the respective brake dust problem.
I have a friend in the brake business who located a ceramic bake pad from ARI. I just had them installed this morning and will let everyone know how the the ARI ceramic pads hold up as far as brake dust goes.
For further info, go to - www.ariparts.com
Anyone have any updated info on using cross drilled rortors on the 2003 Expy's?

OP
OP
G

Stillen Pads

I traded a 02 EB for a 04 EB about 3 weeks ago. The brake dust problem on the 02 was kind of bad but tolerable. But, after a week with the 04, a wash and a 50 mile trip, I decided I wasn't going to be able to tolerate "anthicite" front wheels on a continuing basis. Anyway, thats how I found this forum and read that the problem is wide spread and did not inprove with mileage and that made me decide I was going to get some different pads.

I did a lot of net searching and was not able to find any pads for either an 03 or 04 Expy except for the Stillens. Being sceptical of Ford providing a free ungrade that would really work in a reasonable time, I decided to try the Stillens.

Conclusion: The "problem level" brake dust is gone. For the cost ($140 for all four corners) I would have liked to have seen no brake dust, but this may get better in a couple of hundred miles. (brake bedding). Actually, after the first 100 miles I had to swipe the wheel slot with my finger to tell if there was any dust! I left a finger mark but like I said, the improvement was enormous.

The Stillen pads are also a little less "grabby", which is good, and I'm guessing (based on seat o the pants tests) the overall stopping ability is at least as good if not better than OE. I'll check in later as to pad wear.

I'm satisfied. At least I don't feel like I need to wash the wheels every time I get home, which I really did feel like before.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
knux, you are doing as good as it can. You really can't have "no brake dust", as something has to wear, which are the pads.

If you want to though, there are the dust inserts that I have seen. Sort of platics plates that are installed between the rims and the rotor, that keep the dust off of the rims. I caution against using these as I worry that there may be rotor cooling issues, but I really don't have any info one way or the other regarding that.