Changing Navigation While Driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Then You COMPLETELY misunderstand how the E911 works in the 15-17 Expeditions.

It is in NO way Onstar. E911 does in no way give Ford or anybody the ability to remotely shut down your vehicle. Our vehicles do not have Cell modules built into them unless you have had the Remote Access(Old Ford Cell Based Remote Start) feature installed by the dealer. That doesn’t even have the ability to kill the ignition remotely like OnStars System does.

Sync Connect(Newer, Not 15-17) equipped vehicles do have a Cell module built in and have many of the more advanced features like vehicle location, oil age, Fuel level and other info available remotely. Those modules might in fact have the ability to remote kill a vehicle in the case of Emergency. OUR 15-17 Expeditions DO NOT have that module.

E911 in our vehicles uses your existing Cell phone, and the BT or direct cable connection(When CarPlay or Android Auto are active) to dial 911 if it senses a airbag deploy or a collision.

That in NO way gives Ford or anybody the ability to remotely kill your vehicle.

I am a Network Analyst and this is one of my areas of experience.

Do you carry a Cell phone? Then you are already capable of being found at will by LEO, but you should already know that.
Not trying to be difficult. You are correct. I don't know much about the E911. I didn't realize it needed your cell phone to work. I thought it was autonomous. Yes, I do know the full capabilities of a cell phone from the LEO stand point. Scary actually lol.
I wasn't saying E911 can shut down the system etc. In the case of E911 I guess I was more or less referring to the tracking aspect. My cell phone I can throw away if I want to get lost in the world for no nefarious reasons. I might just want to.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not trying to be difficult. You are correct. I don't know much about the E911. I didn't realize it needed your cell phone to work. I thought it was autonomous. Yes, I do know the full capabilities of a cell phone from the LEO stand point. Scary actually lol.
I wasn't saying E911 can shut down the system etc. In the case of E911 I guess I was more or less referring to the tracking aspect. My cell phone I can throw away if I want to get lost in the world for no nefarious reasons. I might just want to.

People can make the settings they want to with their vehicles. That is the power of FORSCAN.

In the case of E911, where it called for help, It would make sense for it to know where you are. So help can be sent.

If I needed to go off the grid I could definitely do that, but I also know what needs to be disconnected and removed.

I want to provide information so people can make an educated decision. Just saying, “Here, make this setting, and Nav in Motion will work”, is not quite right. There needs to be full disclosure. I would love to have the feature, but not willing to lose the safety. That is me.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is your choice. Anything that in the case of Emergency can get help to my family faster, I see as a bonus. Guess my priorities are different.

I understand the appeal for some people, but I want to maintain control over the calling of 911. I don't like being told under what conditions I can use my GPS or adjust my power seat either. I feel like I'm driving with the parental lock on.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just as a matter of fact to anyone fairly new to the forum....Loki is pretty much the local guru when it comes to the embedded tech & all things sync. He doesn't rattle & wail but he knows his stuff and only very rarely gets it wrong because of miscommunication.

jeff

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just so everyone knows, E911 enabled or not in your vehicle, when you call 911 on your cellphone, the call center automatically receives your location. This way, they can quickly direct first responders to your location.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just so everyone knows, E911 enabled or not in your vehicle, when you call 911 on your cellphone, the call center automatically receives your location. This way, they can quickly direct first responders to your location.

Yep, based on fuzzy logic triangulation and signal strength to towers even with the phones location services turned off. The Cell company is pumping that data to the dispatch centers. This has existed for more than 20 years. That was kinda what I was getting at. Thanks for the clarity!

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just as a matter of fact to anyone fairly new to the forum....Loki is pretty much the local guru when it comes to the embedded tech & all things sync. He doesn't rattle & wail but he knows his stuff and only very rarely gets it wrong because of miscommunication.

jeff

Thanks Jeff! Appreciate the kind words.

OP
OP
D

D Derr

Reaction score
People can make the settings they want to with their vehicles. That is the power of FORSCAN.

In the case of E911, where it called for help, It would make sense for it to know where you are. So help can be sent.

If I needed to go off the grid I could definitely do that, but I also know what needs to be disconnected and removed.

I want to provide information so people can make an educated decision. Just saying, “Here, make this setting, and Nav in Motion will work”, is not quite right. There needs to be full disclosure. I would love to have the feature, but not willing to lose the safety. That is me.
Sorry, got called out of town after I asked the question. Anyways, how does FORSCAN make it so, when moving, I can program the navigation system? Does it allow me to reprogram the system so the navigation will accept commands while moving?
And, thanks everyone who helps out on here!

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Forscan can do it; lots of recent posts on how to do it. But there is a price. You'll lose the 911 auto call feature.

Isn't that a benefit turning the stupid 911 assist & it's annoying reminder off?