Check Charging System Light/Smart charge Info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pogo0123

Reaction score
Hi guys, I’m new to this forum but I’ve found some good info while lurking in the past haha. I’ve got an 03 Navigator with the 5.4 and I’ve had the battery light and check charging system warning for the past 4 years I’ve owned the car. I replaced the battery today for an unrelated reason, but I’ve had the alternator tested in the past and they said it’s fine. I have no issues with battery drain or anything, just that the light turns on a few seconds after start and never turns off. It’s like it doesn’t mean anything.

A while back I took her in to a shop for a different issue and I asked them to check out the light. I faintly recall them mentioning a technical service bulletin about a wiring harness, but that’s all I remember. I’ve also read some things about the system being controlled by the PCM and that the light won’t go away unless it’s a motorcraft alternator. I’m not sure if mine is, but is it really that simple? I’ve been ignoring the light this long and I guess I could live with it, but it would be nice to have it gone. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your Navigator has FACTORY navigation package, you need a 135 amp alternator. If it did NOT come from the factory with the navigation package, you need a 110 amp alternator. This is all with the factory programmed PCM. If the PCM has been replaced with something else all bets are off and you'll be better off putting a strip of electrical tape over the light. The brand isn't as important as the current output being correct. But Motorcraft or NAPA are generally the higher tier products.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett