Climate Controlled Seats filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Damn- we don’t have a cabin air filter?

Nope and no way to easily add one (if at all). Sucks.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/any-easy-way-to-add-a-cabin-air-filter.31434/

My 2001 and 2010 Escapes didn't really have an "official" place to put one; but under the hood cowl you could buy a filter to fit in over the air intake. It had foam around the filter to sort of wedge it in. Wasn't pretty but it worked.

But for us...no dice. Boo FoMoCo MVAC engineers for the Gen3 F-Series/Expeditions...boo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a new 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4. It has heated & cooled seats.

The owner’s manual specifies a replacement interval of 30,000 miles for the filter for the front cooled seats.

I removed one of the filters - it did not have the fabric mesh behind the grates.

I did some research and learned that Ford / Motorcraft discontinued the filters that have the fine, white gauze mesh under the filter grate - and replaced it with the same style black plastic filter with only the grates. The grates only prevent large items from being ingested.

I don’t know why Ford change this filter, but it is useless to replace as the plastic grate filter could be washed if it was dirty - but mine aren't.

Some online vendors will show the old filter picture, but ship the newer filter (without the white gauze).

That is interesting and it appears you are correct regarding the newer “style”. Here is a pic attached of what I did to mine. On the original filter behind the media there is a screen type material that makes a grate:

91B6393C-CC44-4A41-9771-BB9AFDEA50C4.jpeg

Jon1985

Reaction score
Last edited:

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Apparently they made permanent replacement Filters which their technically not filters it’s just a cover with holes to protect the fan . I read online Ford updated the design and actual filters weren’t necessary . .Motorcraft FS-106 Seat Filter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CA9CN8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_PE6bDbRREK37B Here are non - OEM filter that works Seat ventilation filter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075NM7DRP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Y36bDbPSDEB70

Good find on the aftermarket filters. $12 bucks isn't too bad.

But again, do you really need them is the question. (Actual filters, not the grate) Loki's comment still does make total sense though, having those little holes get clogged would be a tedious cleaning job.

Here's something interesting....this video shows a 2008 Expy's seat removed with cooled seats. If you pause the video (1:33) and take a look at the fan, it's a squirrel cage (centrifugal) fan. (Black module, top right corner of seat bottom) Those are prone to dust build up which can reduce airflow, since they use small passages to move the air.

I was thinking maybe they changed the fan style on the newer Expy's to propellers (which would be less prone to dust issues) but then I found this part. Looks like the newer models just have a grate built in...they don't even have a place for a filter anymore. However, looking at the same part but used, you can see gunk and stuff in the grate. And if you look at the fan for the backside of the seat, you'll see that it appears to pull its air from the bottom of the seat and blow it out the small hole in the front; yet it doesn't appear to have a filter. Interesting...

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The heated/cooled seats are new to me with this Eddie Bauer. My understanding through some reading is some ford models have heated seats only and some are heated/cooled. Instead of having a simple wire element as with most heated seats these have thermo electric devices in the bottom and backrest coupled with fans. The fan forces air through the TED which either removes heat from the air or adds heat depending on the mode and it ends up coming out the perforated holes at the end of the run.

I agree, it would be beneficial to know the innards of the seat and size of the passages. As LokiWolf said the holes in the leather are small and can clog.....also could dust reduce the efficiency of the thermal electric units in our seats that cool and heat the air?

Last edited:

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
I vacuum the seats fairly often because I seem to bring in a lot of debris and stuff that inevitably gets into all the little holes. The filter makes a lot of sense- would hate to clog them from the inside.

Gotta say, having cooled seats is such a nice little luxury. One of my favorite features of the rig.

Mark Buckner

Reaction score
I have a 2012 EL Limited that I purchased used. Can someone fill me in on whether the COOLING for the seats is supposed to cool the seat back as well as the bottom? I can feel the cooling quite well in the bottom, but does not seem to be cooling the seat back. When in HEAT mode both get warm. Thanks for your help!

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
Both the seat back and bottom. Because the fan is housed under the seat I think more cooling air comes from the bottom than back. It's not as even as the heat. At least on mine. But for sure the seat back is cooled.