Clunk when accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zap Rowsdower

Reaction score
The Rowsdower mobile is experiencing this same issue.
I personally do not have a check engine light or the overdrive flashing while I'm experiencing this.

larshell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh i get it.
No O/D flahing and Cel here also.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

SailorKane

Reaction score
I have the same issue. Clunk when accelerating. Its happening at a downshift and getting more pronounced as time passes. Original tranny fluid and filter. 120,000 miles on truck. Getting mixed opinions as to whether I should change the fluid at all. Some experts say I shouldn't do it, it might cause tranny to fail in a few thousand miles. Others say it shouldn't hurt. What is the TSB that Ford issued on the tranny? Change to Mercon V?

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the same issue. Clunk when accelerating. Its happening at a downshift and getting more pronounced as time passes. Original tranny fluid and filter. 120,000 miles on truck. Getting mixed opinions as to whether I should change the fluid at all. Some experts say I shouldn't do it, it might cause tranny to fail in a few thousand miles. Others say it shouldn't hurt. What is the TSB that Ford issued on the tranny? Change to Mercon V?

I trailered a lot in my Expy's earlier days, thus changed the filter/fluid every 25K in addition to the oversized trans pan.

Q: What does you fluid look/smell like on the dipstick? I'd venture to say you're well beyond service life. I could be wrong, but with the hundreds & hundreds of heat cycles you've had on the life of the trans....time to change it out IMHO.

MERCON V is the latest fluid for these trannies.

PanHandler.

larshell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have this clunking issue until change my oil. After few thousand km there it is.
I have it scanned at dealership there is VSS error any suggestion guys. Thanks!

Zap Rowsdower

Reaction score
Took the Rowsdower mobile into the stealership this morning and had the transmission fluid changed along with a new filter. On the drive home I didn't notice clunking when I accelerated.
I hope that solved the problem.

SailorKane

Reaction score
My fluid is slightly brown.
Rowsdower, please give update when you have some more miles on the vehicle. It is encouraging right now, however.....

Zap Rowsdower

Reaction score
It’s already been almost two weeks and I haven’t noticed the problem anymore.
I have to say it was a little pricey getting the transmission fluid changed at the dealership but considering I don’t have to deal with that clunking when I accelerate anymore, it was worth it!
-Rowsdower

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhrrington