Cold Start problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcrisman

Reaction score
I have had rough idle problems and CEL came on. Took it to Advanced Auto and had them pull the codes. I got P1405 P1406 P0171 P0174. After looking at the PCV elbows i realized they were cracked, I replaced all the elbows I could reach. I did not check the elbow behind the TB. I checked the DPFE upstream and downstream hoses, they both had cracks, I replaced both hoses. I cleared the codes after replacing the hoses and elbows. Now my engine idles normal. However when I cold start my Expy it cranks but doesnt start everytime? I wasnt having the cold crank problems before i replaced the elbows and hoses. Ideas anyone??

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
Clean your MAF maybe? Could be dirty. Just click the Big white letters in my sig... there is a little write up on the MAF and pcv hose etc...

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jcrisman

Reaction score
Lane, thanks for replying. I took a look at your link, it was well written and helpful. I will definitely check the elbow behind the rear of the intake. Thanks again..

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
+1 on Lane's post.
Sure you thought about & checked these: Fuel filter change periodicity?
Can you hear your fuel pump energize?

wpatters1229

Reaction score
What controls the idle when the engine is cold? I have a problem with the engine starting at its normal 1500 rpm and then idling down to normal idle. The throttle is controlled by a cable to the pedal. If I put a bit of pressure on the throttle to get it off closed it then will run at fast idle and if you hold it there for a short time it will then run at normal idle. I have cleaned the TB and the mass air flow sensor etc. Nothing seems to make a big change. Any ideas would help especially how the cold idle system works and what fuel pieces are involved

wpatters1229

Reaction score
i finally found the idle control module...it is located on the left back side of the throttle body. Took it off and cleaned it and the problem is fixed. Probably never been cleaned before. YouTube has some good videos on how to do this.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker