Engine cranks but wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottimyers

Reaction score
I have a 2002 gen 1 expedition 4.6 Triton V8 XLT. It was running lumpy and the idle revs were going up and down and finally the engine stopped. I disconnected the battery and took the air intake apart and i found that the air intake hose that connects to the engine had come away. So i reconnected it and put the air intake back together. Reconnected the battery and then i started the engine. It was still lumpy for first couple minutes and then it evened out and started to run smooth. I took it for a short test drive then parked it up and turned off the engine. The next day i went out to start it and it just cranks without firing. Ive reset the ECU and taken a look at everything that I think it can be but im stuck. I cant find the problem. Does anyone have any ideas?

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have you tested to see if you have fuel pressure at the fuel rail?

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How do I do that?
There is a Schrader valve( looks like a tire valve) on the fuel rail back passenger side of engine. Here I would tell you to go to Auto Zone and get a loaner fuel gauge, over there??????