Confused about Transmission Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ski_rush

Reaction score
I have a 2007 with 200k miles. As preventative maintenance, I wanted to change the transmission fluid. When I searched online for the "right" fluid, things got confusing. Some people say only use Mercon SP. Others say that Mercon LV replaced SP, so it's fine to use. However, it even says on the Ford website that you shouldn't use LV where SP is called for (see attached pic).

Others say that Valvoline Maxlife synthetic ATF is fine to use; while others say, no way, because it's not "Ford" product and doesn't some with the correct additives.

I'm completely confused on what to use.

I don't have anything against Mercon, other than it's difficult to obtain.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-30 145711.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-30 145711.png
    381.1 KB · Views: 5

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used the LV in my 2011 expedition. Replaced what was in the pan about 2 years ago. Shifting is great as ever

Frank Wilson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2007 with 200k miles. As preventative maintenance, I wanted to change the transmission fluid. When I searched online for the "right" fluid, things got confusing. Some people say only use Mercon SP. Others say that Mercon LV replaced SP, so it's fine to use. However, it even says on the Ford website that you shouldn't use LV where SP is called for (see attached pic).

Others say that Valvoline Maxlife synthetic ATF is fine to use; while others say, no way, because it's not "Ford" product and doesn't some with the correct additives.

I'm completely confused on what to use.

I don't have anything against Mercon, other than it's difficult to obtain.
Only use Mercon SP.
2007 has the 6r75 transmission

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey I'm questioning now what I typed just above. Looking on my garage shelf I also have mercron V. I can't remember which I used for which. Will look back at my notes. I did replace the fluid in the transfer case the differential and the transmission

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What does the owners manual tell you to use? I’d use what the manual says when all else fails. It does recommend the SP. I’d also take into account what you’ve used that got you problem free to this particular maintenance interval. As it obviously does what it’s supposed to do.

Attachments

• AF6AEFA3-1A5C-4646-8549-AFED1998BDE3.jpeg
    AF6AEFA3-1A5C-4646-8549-AFED1998BDE3.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 26