Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WrenchinBrit

Reaction score
Having replaced the inlet manifold (prev owner used stop leak) I wanted to get rid of any of the remaining leak product.. i ran a few cycles of regular water through it and then filled with Anti freeze and the leak is fixed.
I noticed the expansion tank was pretty filthy and that always bothers me.
I did find an idea on YT using brake cleaner and rice so i thought i'd try it.
The tank has to come off with the air cleaner base but its only 2 bolts ...

dirty expansion tank.jpg

What irritates me is you can hardly see the level properly and having that junk sucked into the cooling system can't be a good thing.

cleaning products.jpg

Using a funnel put the rice and spray a good bit of brake cleaner into the tank.
THEN SHAKE !!!!

i flushed out the rice which was now brown/black with the hose and repeated ... in all
i probably did about 5 mins shaking ...
Not a lot really and quickly i saw the tank coming nice and clean.

finished.jpg

detailed bottle.jpg
Detailed the fill instructions with a paint pen and highlighted the 'ORANGE' on the top of the tank too

All in all i most likely spent an hour..
Like i said i got the idea from YT so take no credit but i will smile every time i pop the bonnet and see it

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks good. I considered doing mine last time I changed the coolant, but laziness got the best of me.