Coolant capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marloue13

Reaction score
Hi Guys. just recently joined the forum and new to the site.. this is my 1st post.
I just have a question..

I did my 1st coolant flush on an 04 EXPY xlt . i drained the old fluid and also remove the plug on the block (1 plug only. i cant fiind the 2nd plug located oon the other side of the block as stated in the hanes manual)

i ended up draining 3 gallons of old coolant....
then did the flush with prestone flush and water and drained it for the 2nd time after normal temp w/ heater on hi is reached..
then flush it again the 3rd time with just pure water then run it for 15 mins. and drained again including the one on the block.

Then my question is since i only drained 3 gallons of old fluid how am i going to achieve a 50/50 concentration?

according to the fords manual the coolant capacity on this is 21qt since it also have aux.

does it mean that i will need to put at least 10-11 qt of pure gold coolant in order to achieve 50/50 concentration even if only drained 3 gallons of coolant and i assumed that the remainding fluid inside are just water?

or i just need to put 3 gallons (half pure coolant and half distilled water)

Please help...

Thanks.

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
If you know the capacity is 21 qts that comes out to 5.25 gallons. That means 2.625 gallons of pure undiluted or mixed coolant is needed to achieve 50/50 mix. Since you have flushed it and you are sure only water remains just add that 2.6 gallons of coolant and top the rest off with water.

Make sure you run front and rear heater to cycle the water through the system. Its not going to hurt anything altering the ratio a little one way or the other.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

marloue13

Reaction score
i drained it 2x after the flush but the water still seems to have a bit color of yellow in it.. But yes im thinking of doing what you said too... Thanks for the early reply.