Coolant leaking/pooling in spark plug wells

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wahl954

Reaction score
Hello all, New to owning an expedition and have been searching for the right one for over a year. I finally picked one up at the right price, 2008 XLT with 66,000 miles. Truck is in great overall shape. I have been going through the truck trying to find any issues and fixing them as I go. Nothing major yet until I found coolant pooling in the sparkplug/coil pack wells. Please see attached picture.

I have not been able to find too much information on this issue, but from what I can gather it looks like the “heater hose assembly” is leaking. I figure worst case scenario the intake manifold gasket is leaking. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and any advice would be appreciated. The part number I’ve found for the assembly is KH509. Please let me know if this is not the right part number. From some pictures I have found online it looks like whoever owned this truck had already changed the part before because the hose coming out of the firewall is one piece. Anyway and help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 2008 exp.jpg
    2008 exp.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 3,222
  • 2008 exp (1).jpg
    2008 exp (1).jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 906
OP
OP
W

wahl954

Reaction score
yea im going to do that in the morning. I dont have the tool but Im going to clean all the hoses and let is heat up to operating temperature. I hope I can see the leak then, with as much coolant thats in the wells I should see something.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can probably get a pressure tester from a auto parts chain. They might test it for you.

ptmares

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check those hoses right above the manifold. I had the same issue. The top "T" looking hose, right where the rubber meets the plastic, was where mine had a small pin hole leak.

If that is the problem, it is an easy fix with the new hose from Ford. If so, they redesigned the hose to eliminate about a 4" piece that extends off of the fire wall. New hose one piece design.

911jason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cost me $900+ at the dealer to fix the same problem. They said they had to replace all the coil packs on that side as well as the leak.

Mangina

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It should be pretty easy to locate. Clean up the coolant, start it up, and trace where the new coolant comes from.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt