Could Torque Convertor issue really be the GEM unit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This actually makes more sense to me than the transmission being the issue. The transmission ran 99% before it was parked. Perhaps even 100% is the two shudders I felt were actually one of the coils starting to go.

So a solid on CEL could mean anything, but a flashing CEL only means misfire?

I guess I have some ebaying to do.

Exactly a solid CEL is a Hard code that could be caused by anything but the Blinking CEL is a Random Misfire (could be 1 or more cylinders). You can get a solid CEL from a misfire as well but it would be a constant missfire meaning the coil is dead!

OP
OP

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Exactly a solid CEL is a Hard code that could be caused by anything but the Blinking CEL is a Random Misfire (could be 1 or more cylinders). You can get a solid CEL from a misfire as well but it would be a constant missfire meaning the coil is dead!

Thanks.

UNEEK got back to me, saying that he doesn't carry the coils for my 5.4L motor? He says I need DG-473s. I thought I needed 508s?

Can some one help me out here? I would assume he would know what coil I need. But Global lists the 508s for my engine.

OP
OP

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Yeah those are the DG508s. I looked on Advance Auto online and they also said DG508s. I guess UNEEK was either confused by my question or doesn't actually know anything baout what he sells.

I also need to get some swivel sockets and some 1/4" drive extensions, so I'll have to wait until Friday to order the coils and plugs.

Are the Motorcraft plugs the way to go?

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah those are the DG508s. I looked on Advance Auto online and they also said DG508s. I guess UNEEK was either confused by my question or doesn't actually know anything baout what he sells.

I also need to get some swivel sockets and some 1/4" drive extensions, so I'll have to wait until Friday to order the coils and plugs.

Are the Motorcraft plugs the way to go?

Your truck probably came stock with the DG-473's but the cross reference replacement on them is the DG-508 most all first gen triton 2v motors (at least in the trucks) use the 508's.

As for plugs I recomend the Motorcrafts, but I belive there are quite a few people on here like Walnuts that are running the Auotlite's with no problems. Just make sure to take your time and have a TOURQE WRENCH if you do not tourqe the plugs you are asking for problems.

Interceptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just make sure to take your time and have a TOURQE WRENCH if you do not tourqe the plugs you are asking for problems.

My 2 cents:

I can't speak for your year/model or engine displacement, however I did plugs on my '97 F150 4.6L, which required an good selection of extensions and swivels to get at all of the plugs. The real key is taking your time and making double sure you are not cross-threading. Someone else might want to chime in on this, but some anti-seize on the threads might help in the long run too.

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2 cents:

I can't speak for your year/model or engine displacement, however I did plugs on my '97 F150 4.6L, which required an good selection of extensions and swivels to get at all of the plugs. The real key is taking your time and making double sure you are not cross-threading. Someone else might want to chime in on this, but some anti-seize on the threads might help in the long run too.

Just make sure to keep the Anti-seize to a minimum. There are a LOT of different ways people on the net say to do the plugs. I used a very small amount of Copper coat Anti-seize and also Torqued the plugs to 26 FT LBS (I have put 5k on them and no problems).

There are 2 main ways these plugs will come out of the head, and that is cross threading the only 4 threads in the head, and not having them torqued good enough.

If you cross thread, then of course the plug will not hold for long since there are very few threads to begin with so if you end up loosing a plug you will have to have a TIME-SERT put in. Link to time-sert :

http://www.timesert.com/html/ford_sparkplug_faq.html

Also if the plugs are not Torqued enough then they can come loose and vibrate out of the hole. If this happens some times you will get lucky and not need to put in a Time-Sert, but some times you still do.

Either situation will wipe out the coil pack so make sure to keep some of your old coils for "just in case spares", or order the set for the v10 that way you have 2 NEW Spares.

If you take your time and pay attention to everything you should not have to worry about loosing a plug but with these motors unfortunatly there is always that chance.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did use autolite double platinums and so far so good... almost a year... and no anti-seize

make sure you take your time installing new ones so that you don't cross thread... what me and DGray69 did on mine was use a spark plug socket by barely holding plug and get it started then use a regular deep-well socket to tighten them with a torque wrench... that way the socket doesn't get stuck...

if you have a harbor freight... that is were I got a variety set of extensions, swivels and a torque wrench before I started for pretty cheap..

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and good luck.... take your time.... get a friend to help and have plenty of beverages of your choice during the install.... it can be done...