Could Torque Convertor issue really be the GEM unit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just ordered my coils from Global. I do have a Harbor Freight near work and a stack of 20% off coupons. I also have a torque wrench, but it is 10 years old and I have no idea if it's still accurate.

I still haven't had it scanned, but since you guys say that flashing only means mis-fire, I guess thats what I am going with.

I also think there is a hole in my trans dipstick. I had some fluid leaking onto my exhaust pipe. So figuring out that problem and fixing that is also on my list. Fun Fun.

Aren't the Motorcraft plugs the two piece ones that break?

I also read about cracking the old plugs loose and spraying some PB blaster in there. Do you guys do that? I am probably way over due for plugs and coils.

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Aren't the Motorcraft plugs the two piece ones that break? I also read about cracking the old plugs loose and spraying some PB blaster in there. Do you guys do that? I am probably way over due for plugs and coils.[/QUOTE said:
The 2 piece plugs are for the newer 3v motor and so is the procedure for braking loose the plug and spraying the PB down the hole.

Those plugs have a really long reach to them and the area between the electorde and the threads will become covered in carbon deposits that will harden over time with all the heat and get stuck in the head and then break.

Luckly the only thing us first gen guys have to worry about is the plug "spitting".

As far as the dip stick for the trans goes, it is actually a 2 peice tube that has a o-ring about 6-8 inches up from the transmission where it splits. If you get under the truck and feel up the tube you will find it.

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another thing you should do since you said that the truck has been sitting for a year, is change out your fuel filter and add in a good fuel stabalizer or octance boost and some injector cleaner.

With the fuel sitting for that long I can only imagine how varnished that fuel is. The fuel alone having sat that long can cause issues on top of the issues that you are already having and if you run to much threw the system without putting in some kind of additive (I would also try to top off the tank with premium) you will end up with sticky injectors and all other parts of the fuel system "gummed up".

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also PBblast the bolts that hold the COPs in a few days before they are also known for seizing up so spray them a couple times before you begin....

OP
OP

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did fill it up and add a whole bottle of Seafoam to the gas tank.

I tried to change the fuel filter before it sat, but I could only get the one side to release with the tool. I guess I need to try at it again.

This is going to end up a 4 day afair I think.

OP
OP

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found the hole in my trans dipstick. Its right where the tube almost touches the header flange. I'm told its two piece. Where is the joint?

OP
OP

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So if I unbolt the one bolt from the block, the tube should just pull out?

I thought I found a replacement tube online at Advance Auto or Autozone or whatever, but now I can't find it. Does anyone know where I can get one?

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So if I unbolt the one bolt from the block, the tube should just pull out?

I thought I found a replacement tube online at Advance Auto or Autozone or whatever, but now I can't find it. Does anyone know where I can get one?

Exactly there is just one bolt to the block that holds the dip stick in place (when I did my trans swap I just left the upper portion of the tube in the truck).

As far as finding one you will probably be better off trying to find one in a wrecking yard. Bad feeling that may be a dealer only item.

OP
OP

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As far as finding one you will probably be better off trying to find one in a wrecking yard. Bad feeling that may be a dealer only item.

I found one from an online junk yard for $35 shipped. I guess thats a good deal.

The only yard I know around here that has Expeds always wants to sell the whole thing. No throttle body, have to buy the motor. No fender unless the rest of the front clip is trashed.