Cross Threaded Again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SafariGoneWrong

Reaction score
For the 2nd time in 7 years, I cross-threaded the back oil pump pickup tube bolt tonight. In 2017 at 100K miles, I did a full timing job plus lash adjusters, roller followers and oil pump as both phasers were noisy. At the time, the Melling M360 was the pump to use...Jasper was doing it, FordTechMakuloco, and more. I cross threaded the M360 aft pickup tube bolt and it held together fine for 7 years. I used the safety wire technique this time on the aft bolt and couldn't get any alignment feel, oh well, it's in and tight. The reason I'm in there now is a dinking sound from the passenger side cylinder head that comes and goes only when cold, seems like a lash adjuster that might be not quite right. (It's not an exhaust leak as I replaced the manifold 2 years ago). I used Melling lash adjusters and roller followers in 2017, it's getting 24 Motorcraft adjusters this time. The roller followers are all in great shape, those are going back in. If anyone is considering Melling roller followers (the improved design ones), after 24K miles they still feel like new--slight resistance to rolling. For comparison, at 100K I had 2 original roller followers on the right side that were getting sloppy. ForScan says phaser operation is fine but it's getting a new right side phaser due to paranoia. If anyone has found a for sure technique to getting the aft pickup tube bolt in, please tell the world. Forgot to say originally it got the Melling M340HV pump tonight.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Drop the oil pan so you have clear access to the bolt. Run a tap into the hole to straighten out the threads. Use a new bolt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire