Cruise Control and Lane Changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nationalgallery

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You do not have BlueCruise on an XLT. That is lane centering assist. It will keep the vehicle in the center of the lane as long as it has resistance (your hands) on the wheel. There is also lane keep assist that you have where it nudges you away from the lines on the road if you get too close. BlueCruise is a hands off the wheel system that has eye tracking to make sure you are paying attention. It is only on the top model at this time.

Lane centering assist does not steer around curves and does not issue warnings if your hands are not on the wheel — that is BlueCruise. BlueCruise also has a hands-free mode which uses the eye-tracking cameras, and that is only available on Platinum models.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No offense but you are incorrect in this case. I use lane centering all the time on my 22 and it keeps you in the center of the lane even around curves as long as it can see the lane markings on each side. Now there are limits and sharp curves are probably too much for it but I haven't encountered that situation on the highway yet. It also yells at you for not having your hands on the wheel when you aren't giving enough input for it to detect your hands there. I know because it has yelled at me several times when I wasn't giving it enough input. Perhaps you are thinking of lane keeping assist which has you acting more like a ping pong ball bouncing back and forth between the lines with no lane centering.

Last edited:

nationalgallery

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No offense but you are incorrect in this case. I use lane centering all the time on my 22 and it keeps you in the center of the lane even around curves as long as it can see the lane markings on each side. Now there are limits and sharp curves are probably too much for it but I haven't encountered that situation on the highway yet. It also yells at you for not having your hands on the wheel when you aren't giving enough input for it to detect your hands there. I know because it has yelled at me several times when I wasn't giving it enough input. Perhaps you are thinking of lane keeping assist which has you acting more like a ping pong ball bouncing back and forth between the lines with no lane centering.
This Platinum is my first Expedition, so I don't have any experience with other models. The way the manual describes lane centering, I didn't really see how it differentiates it from how late keeping operates — it doesn't explicitly state that lane centering essentially takes over steering for you, which is what BluecCuise non-hands-free mode does (as long as you periodically apply some resistance to the steering wheel).

mdecillis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also, on the cruise control, if the vehicle reads speed limit signs it can be set to a certain speed based on the speed limit sign. On the highway I have my cruise set to 8 mph over the speed limit, so if the signs go from 70 to 60, the cruise control will drop it from 78 to 68 mph.
Samantha

The only issue with this is if it suddenly goes from 65 to 45 the vehicle slows down suddenly (not slowly). So I turned it off.

mdecillis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's BlueCruise, not lane keeping. Only the Platinum has hands-free mode for BlueCruise, so you have to keep a small resistance pressure on the wheel periodically to keep it from dropping out of BlueCruise.
What she is describing is lane keeping/centering. It will absolutely follow curves almost flawlessly with no hands on the wheel (for a small period of time before a warning) and keep you centered in the lane.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This Platinum is my first Expedition, so I don't have any experience with other models. The way the manual describes lane centering, I didn't really see how it differentiates it from how late keeping operates — it doesn't explicitly state that lane centering essentially takes over steering for you, which is what BluecCuise non-hands-free mode does (as long as you periodically apply some resistance to the steering wheel).
I agree that the manual is lacking in explaining the differences. I believe Ford has some videos on their website that do a better job explaining.

mwar99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The lane keep will adjust steering when using the adaptive cruise at the same time. If the adaptive cruise is off it will not "steer" but will only vibrate/make noise. You do not get a hands free notification on the dash and it will shut off and warn you if it doesn't sense the pressure on the wheel. No model other than Platinum has Blue Cruise. I've seen so many people think they have Blue Cruise when all they have is the adaptive and lane keep/centering it's scary.

Old Dog

Reaction score
I own a 2022 with Blue Cruise. So far no complaints plus it updates over Wi Fi at night parked in garage. Have had 3 updates so far adding extra features. I was unaware that the platinum was the only model with Blue Cruise. Hands free is great on long trips. Just have to keep your eyes on the road straight ahead or it will require you to hold the steering wheel.

Old Dog

Reaction score
I haven’t experienced the apply some resistance to the steering wheel. The only thing I have noticed is a warning will show up sating put hands on steering wheel. Usually at interstate exits or on a sharp S curve.

GregTu

Reaction score
I own a 2022 with Blue Cruise. So far no complaints plus it updates over Wi Fi at night parked in garage. Have had 3 updates so far adding extra features. I was unaware that the platinum was the only model with Blue Cruise. Hands free is great on long trips. Just have to keep your eyes on the road straight ahead or it will require you to hold the steering wheel.
Is there a way to see what version of Blue Cruise is installed? We have a new ‘24 that we picked up the first week of October. So no OTA updates so far. I assume we were current at delivery. I think we have version 1.0 as it insists on being in the center of the lane and has a tendency to behave like a new driver constantly correcting if it thinks it’s off center an inch or two. It’s not bad but it makes the vehicle feel a little nervous.

I understand that versions 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3 add things like lane change with a turn signal, will stay closer to the lane lines when passing or being passed. This would be a huge confidence boost for me as I like to put the outside tire on, or next to the lane line when next to another vehicle, especially a semi.

If my understanding is correct 1.1 makes the car less nervous.

Any guesses on when we might these in the Expedition?

Thanks,
Greg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett