CV Boot or entire Axle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4whlmama

Reaction score
So... I'm kind of unsure if I should post this under the Suspension topic of Transmission and Drive Train. Anyway, I have grease slipping all over my wheel well from the front passenger axle boot.

I'm in the middle of a temporary move for 3 months and plan to move to a permanent place to move my mother in who is ill and needs 24 hour care. So my funds are really tight for the next few months. I know I can't just let this issue with my truck go unattended.

So my dilemma and question is, do I just buy the CV boot and replace it or should I spend the extra money and get the entire Axle? I plan on doing both sides even though the drivers side seems to be fine, but only doing one side is kind of like only buying 1 tire or replacing brakes on 1 wheel! At least this what my Dad always told me. You do one, you do all! If he was still here, I would ask him my questions. Since he passed, I have had a really hard time having anyone work on my truck cause Dad was my mechanic. Even though he sat in a lawn chair drinking a Corona instructing me while I got dirty! He was determined to make sure his little girl would never be stuck on the side of the road and not know what to do! Well, it's actually in my genes to be mechanically inclined. So he didn't have to pound things into my head too much, but sometimes I do need some guidance. So I'm asking y'all for your advice.

Would you replace just the boot or the entire axle?

Thanks!

4whlmama

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The amount of work isn't too much different doing the axle. If funds permit I would likely do the axle, maybe keep the existing as an emergency spare in the future unless its needed for a core charge.

On the do one do it all, on most things I'd agree but given current situation of things, your time constraints and the fact the driver side is fine w no issue and it sounds like it would be an unnecessary expense right this second, I would leave it alone.

OP
OP
4whlmama

4whlmama

Reaction score
You're probably right. So maybe I will bite the bullet and get the one side for now and plan to do the other after I get settled into the permanent place with my Mom. Thanks!