Dealership saying needing serpentine belt replaced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GB19XLT

Reaction score
Is this common on a 50k mile expedition? Went in for a routine oil change and now they’re saying my belt is cracking... should I believe them? Lol

Tmg115

Reaction score
That belt does need to be replaced every so often but I doubt yours is bad this soon. Replacing belts is a common up sale from repair shops.

I would ask them to show you the cracks. If it doesn't have clear dry rot you should be ok. If it has moderate to large cracks it may need to be replaced. If fhe belt is in bad shape and it breaks while your driving, you will be on the side of the road waiting on a tow truck.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Funny, I just got mine back from service not that long ago and part of the assessments were:

• back of belt is starting to wear/ glaze
  • minor play in both front inner tie rods
Not sure if that's upsell or true wearing. I guess I'll have to take a gander at the belt myself.

I currently have about 114,000 kms on it

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Funny, I just got mine back from service not that long ago and part of the assessments were:

• back of belt is starting to wear/ glaze
  • minor play in both front inner tie rods
Not sure if that's upsell or true wearing. I guess I'll have to take a gander at the belt myself.

I currently have about 114,000 kms on it

ANY of todays junk tie rod ends that are not greaseable will show wear at 100K. Unfortunately you need to buy a 3/4 ton to get the greaseable parts.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The serpentine belt is made from EPDM, unlike the older neoprene belts it is not likely to crack in the vehicles lifetime. It will wear and may eventually fray. The tech telling you it is cracked is the first indication that you need to find a better shop.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As exposed as the belt is on these vehicles with no front skid plate, I can see that junk could get in there and possibly damage the belt.

OP
OP
GB19XLT

GB19XLT

Reaction score
The serpentine belt is made from EPDM, unlike the older neoprene belts it is not likely to crack in the vehicles lifetime. It will wear and may eventually fray. The tech telling you it is cracked is the first indication that you need to find a better shop.

don’t see any cracks or fraying.. maybe small white line, which is probably nothing. Felt it, and it’s all smooth.

1EB640C8-3ED7-4632-A3A3-6C3DFDA9E0E3.jpeg

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While in for an oil change and tire rotation, I had a Ford service advisor tell me that my 2015 Expedition’s engine air filter was due for replacement.

I had replaced the filter with a new Motorcraft one the week before.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have replaced belts just to be doing it on older stuff, mainly to have a spare to tuck someplace. Really I haven’t seen one fail even when cracked looking. I don’t know anybody who has had it happen, at least that they’ve said.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just for a comparison My wife 2011 Sedan has 180,000 miles on it and my buddy put new tires on it and I had him look at the belt. He said the belt looked perfect yet. Crazy to get that kind of milage on a belt and it still even looks good yet.