Dealership saying needing serpentine belt replaced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
GB19XLT

GB19XLT

Reaction score
While in for an oil change and tire rotation, I had a Ford service advisor tell me that my 2015 Expedition’s engine air filter was due for replacement.

I had replaced the filter with a new Motorcraft one the week before.

Yeah. Beginning to see the trend here with some Ford Service centers.

I actually spoke to my buddy, who is the finance manager (bought the expy off him) I asked him if there is any inspections a CPO (certified pre owned) vehicle goes through. He said they do a 175 point inspection. Asked if it included belts. He said absolutely, if it does meet the minimum specs they replace them all. Told him what the Service center said, he basically said you are fine and they’re out of their minds. Haha

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's service managers trying to make quota... Sucks because of how many people just blindly agree.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
don’t see any cracks or fraying.. maybe small white line, which is probably nothing. Felt it, and it’s all smooth.

View attachment 39162
Nothing wrong with that belt. You can tell by the fussiness of the material on the rib side that it is a EPDM belt. Eventually thousands of miles from now the side of the ribs will start to polish and wear. At that point it will be time to replace it and relegate it as your spare. They even have wear gauges to indicate the amount of wear.