Deer/Beer Camp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m heading out to the hills of West Virginia for my 30th consecutive year Buck Season.With mostly the same Ol boys (men) as it was 30 years ago. We drink a lot of beer,whiskey,local Moonshine ,and talk shit about women,trucks,atv’s,guns,booze,boobs,politics,deer,beer, beef jerky,old pieces of ass,ammunition,shit story’s, you name it! We spend tons of $ on guns license,ammunition, beer, whiskey, tree stands, ATV’s,and the latest camo apparel, all to shoot that scraggly buck! But in the beginning 30 yrs. ago it was about the kill, it’s now just about an excuse to go hang out with the guys and act like we’re still young bucks ourselves. Can’t wait till morning!

Last edited:

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m heading out to the hills of West Virginia for my 30th consecutive year Buck Season.With mostly the same Ol boys (men) as it was 30 years ago. We drink a lot of beer,whiskey,local Moonshine ,and talk shit about women, guns,booze,boobs,politics,deer,beer, beef jerky,old pieces of ass,ammunition,shit story’s, you name it! We spend tons of $ on guns license,ammunition, beer, whiskey, tree stands, and the latest camo apparel, all to shot that scraggly buck! But in the beginning 30 yrs. ago it was about the kill, it’s now just about an excuse to go hang out with the guys and act like we still young bucks ourselves. Can’t wait till morning!

Why not save on the ammo and get more beer? Save a deer, buy more beer. (just made that up :lol:)

OP
OP
Boostedbus

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why not save on the ammo and get more beer? Save a deer, buy more beer. (just made that up :lol:)
Don’t get me wrong,it’s still fun blowing them down! I’m a meat hunter and not so much a trophy hunter. I love my wife’s deer meatloaf she makes! We’ll buy more beer but we’ll still smoke Bambi at first light!

crector080862

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So you been doing it for 30 years what's the differences you see between 30 years ago and today. How have the deer changed.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Boostedbus

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So you been doing it for 30 years what's the differences you see between 30 years ago and today. How have the deer changed.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
They where manly smaller deer in the early years, but over the course of time we became better hunters and started getting better results. We have had some years when we slaughtered them and then we’ve had very sparse years. A couple of years in the late 90’s -early 2000’s, we were seeing more black bear than deer. But it’s always been a thrill to be sitting in that tree stand at first light on opening day to see what the new year brings.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hope you guys had fun. There really isn't much better than being in the woods....other than being there with friends. It's amazing that we lived through the weekends since we somehow always ended up playing "lets use the pellet gun to shoot cans" which eventually evolved....DEvolved into "I'll bet I kin shoot it off yer head".....

jeff

OP
OP
Boostedbus

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I wound up head shooting a spike opening day morning. Every year since about 10 years ago we started a money pot for opening day, we call it Mellonball Monday. Everyone puts $20 in the pot and the guy that head shoots a legal buck with the most points wins. It can’t have any holes anywhere else but in the Mellon. So Monday morning at around
9:00am up walks a ************ spike, no one else in our group has shot , what do you do? Let it walk and wait for bigger?Hell no not me! Crack goes the Magnum and I’m on the board with a little joke for the $100 pot . Now I play games with the rest of the guys on a group text sending a pic of the bucks balls so they know I shot a buck but don’t reveal how many points. They don’t know what they need to win .... bigger spike,4,6,8,or hell even bigger for all they know. It was fun for a couple hours and then my one buddy mellonballed a 6 point which in the end took the win. My strategy was working because two other guys let a big spike and a 4 point walk early thinking they needed bigger and then never saw anymore . I really didn’t think it would hold up for the win but at the time I saw a clean head shot opportunity on a legal $100 bill walking by so I took it,and also knew someone else would have to pull off a head shot to win no matter what size. Once again we had a blast and the same buddy who won the money, later that week shot a beautiful 8 point. Here is a pic

354416CE-9EC4-4812-AAA0-76AB31291FB0.jpeg

OP
OP
Boostedbus

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well it’s that time of year again. I went to bass pro and dropped $600 for a new meat grinder and attachments and another $75 for one box of Ballistic Tip bullets for the Magnum. I better win the melon ball money this year to take away some of that sting.I can’t wait to leave in the morning for WV. I’ve got the old 95 F150 loaded and ready to rock! Westbound and down!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360