Design Advice for 07 Expedition EL Install....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmciver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am in the early stages of designing a system for my 07 Expedition EL consisting of speakers, subwoofer and amplifiers. My goal is what I would consider to be a moderate system consisting of mid level, name brand components. I want a system that will be as loud as my current setup (factory speakers, factory sub, and Jensen head unit), but have much clearer and cleaner sound. I also want it to be a stealth install to the max extent possible. So I want all components hidden (such as the amplifiers and sub).

I have priced everything out at Crutchfield for now at approx $800. So I know if I source everything elsewhere I could probably save $100-200 depending on shipping charges, etc. But for now, I have a few design questions to help me finalize my plan:

1. Amplifier Placement. I plan to use 2 4-channel amplifiers to power all of the speakers, including the sub. I want these hidden to the max extent possible. Each amp (both are the same brand/model) is approx 10" x 10", which seemed to be the smallest I could find to meet my nominal power requirements (approx 200 watts). I looked at the center console (I didn't completely take it apart yet though) and it looks like I might be able to fit one in there, but not too sure. Is anyone familiar w/07+ Expedition interiors and can give me some pointers for hidden locations to install these amps?

2. Adding D-Pillar Speakers. I know the newer Navigators offer this option. However the speakers are OEM and therefore I know not as good as aftermarket. I did some very basic measurements and it looks like some basic 1" tweeters can fit back there (but nothing bigger/deeper). I want them back there for 'rear fill' so they will be on the same channels as the rear door speakers. Is there any reason why this won't work/sound as intended? I know tweeters are usually used in conjunction with larger woofers (like in a component system) but in this case they would be 'on their own'.

3. Amplifier Hookup. I plan on hooking up the two amplifiers in the following method to help save space/time. One amp will have the front and rear speakers connected (standard 4 channel connections), the second will have the sub bridged across 2 channels while the other 2 channels will power the D-pillar speakers. Any reason why this should not work (the manual for the amp says it will)?

4. Cable Routing & Noise. Any good pointers/guidance for routing cables to minimize/prevent noise? I know not to run the RCA/Speaker wires right next to the power cables. But anything else?

5. Estimating Speaker Wire Length. Is there a good method to estimate how much speaker wire I will need? I know you always want to get more than what you think, but I still would like to have a good ballpark idea of how much I need, including a method to estimate it.

I guess that is it for now....