Dial Shifter - Let Me Vent!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Shift controllers like Ford's dial aren't going away. Jeep/RAM have a similar style. The dial type is 100x better than the stupid buttons GM uses. They take up much less space that can be used for storage. I don't mind it one bit.
If I recall some celebrity got run over , killed, by his jeep due to uncertainty that the vehicle was in park mode. Auto designers need to stop messing with the ergonomics of stuff that is safety related. I am still getting used to a console lever after having driven with column shifter so long. It is not clear to me what gear I am in and at least in the older vehicle there was a pointer on the dashboard.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is also why one of the first things I did on this was put a raptor steering wheel with paddle shifters on this. I hated the rotary thing with little buttons that you have to take your eyes off the road to use. Seriously, you take away my ability to scroll through usb drive folders to find music, which is just a couple inches away from the top of the dash where I can easily see whats going on, but require me to look down worse than the idiots on their phones to select gears. DUMB!!!!

And i use the gears a ton on mountain passes, it makes everything from engine breaking to accelerating up a 10k' pass better!

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another old guy here also. Not a big fan of the dial shifter...almost like going back to a Avocodo Green rotary dial wall phone!! :D I miss the manual transmission's of the cars of yesterday. We all wanted a 4 speed hooked up to a fire breathing V-8 with multiple carbs!! This was until I had to drive a Mack military truck with a 5x4 dual transmission..20 speeds and 2 sticks. All of a sudden my rotary dial looks like a first world problem!! :rotflmao:

BravoAlpha

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I prefer the column shifter as well but this arrangement is not a deal breaker. My 21 Silverado has a column shift. I like it.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I recall some celebrity got run over , killed, by his jeep due to uncertainty that the vehicle was in park mode. Auto designers need to stop messing with the ergonomics of stuff that is safety related. I am still getting used to a console lever after having driven with column shifter so long. It is not clear to me what gear I am in and at least in the older vehicle there was a pointer on the dashboard.
That was a 2015 Grand Cherokee with a funky console shifter that the Germans used on some Mercedes models too.

Randy-IA

Reaction score
2025 suburban will switch to column shifter. GM is aware the button shifter is ****** now. Buttons are so inhumanly stupid.
Button shifting has been around a long, long time. The difference is the first ones were still manual and used a button to move the linkage.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is the problem here? Do you like things to be in the way? I can have stuff out over the console and it’s not sticking up to mess me up. It’s not cluttered in the dash area.

You can even get out and not have to bother with it because when you turn it off, the trans goes into park by itself. When having to do a lot of back and forth moves, it’s way easier than messing with a stick and button deal.

I seriously can’t find a downside to this and don’t want another vehicle with the old school stuff ever again.

and I’m a guy that drives a 1969 car on the weekends.

image98

Reaction score
I'm a Gen 2 Ford Raptor owner and own a 2019 stealth Expedition. In a sport truck, I like the traditional shifter, but in something that is more ergonomic and functional as a daily, I don't mind the rotary shifter in the expedition. However, the rotary shifter does have a delay of around 1 second, which I find annoying. The gear lockout on the Expedition, having to push buttons on the center console is unsafe and unpractical. Almost useless compared to the paddle shifters on the Raptor, which I absolutely love. I also daily driver a 65 mustang with a 6 speed t56 and 5.0 coyote, which neither of the new vehicles can compare to when it comes to the fun factor. It all comes down to personal preference. Who would have thought 10 speed automatics would be a thing?