Did I Hurt it!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ssmock

Reaction score
Took a road-trip out to Reno NV from Kansas City towing my enclosed auto trailer. This trip is about 1650 miles one way. Was kind of on my bucket list to do attending Hot August Nights in Reno. I made a lot of gas companies profitable on this trip!

Trailer is a new all aluminum 22' with 10K axles. Empty weight of the trailer is 2,300 lbs and the car I tow is a 64 Buick Special convertible weighing in at 3,200 lbs. All in at 6,000 with the trailer and car. The Expy is a 2014 Limited 4X4 with the factory heavy duty towing package, 91K miles. Should be well under the maximum capacity of the Expy. The truck towed the trailer very well and only struggled a couple of times going over a couple of steep grades. Used the Tow / Haul feature during the trip and got 8 to 9 miles per gallon average. Did I say it was 1650 miles!!

Anyway, it only used a 1/2 quart of oil during the whole trip and that was added on the way back to Kansas City. I had changed the oil before leaving on this trip. As I said a couple of times it was wound pretty tight going over a 7% grade but it kept 50 to 60 mph speed. When I got back that next week I noticed a slight valve / lifter tick upon starting. Since I put another 3,500 miles on it I had the oil changed again. Ford dealer changes the oil since it still has the extended warranty and uses 5W20 weight motor-craft oil every 3K to 5K miles. I still get a slight ticking upon cold start up and can hear it only accelerating next to cars or along a guard rail after it warms up. It's not loud but it is there, increases with speed and wasn't noticeable before. Think maybe I wore out a lifter or something? Also could be a manifold exhaust leak I guess as I have heard those ticking back in the day, opens when cold and closes up as it expands when hot. Not too familiar with the new engines and the management systems they have. I hate putting additives in as well but maybe try some Seafoam or Marvel Mystery oil or something. The car (engine) is still under the Ford Extended warranty and it would cost $125 I guess to check it out but just wondering what others on the board thought. Thanks for any input, great forum.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ONLY lost half a quart of oil?

On a '14 with <100k, that's imho kinda atrocious... then again, I believe in feeding these things Rotella T6 Diesel 5w40 full synth

OP
OP
ssmock

ssmock

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys! I'll see what the dealer says. I do stand corrected it was a full quart low toward the end of the trip. I really like this truck and being able to tow a trailer in comfort is a plus. My car is not a trailer queen, its 55 year's old and without power steering or air conditioning driving it over 200 miles is a chore. Thanks again for the comments!

08navigator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's a good chance you cracked an exhaust manifold or a few of the manifold bolts broke and you now have a leak. I would definitely let Ford deal with it if you have the warranty. The manifolds are a pain in the ass to get out.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Timing chain rattle? Cam phaser? The overhead cam engine has 'roller followers' and lash adjusters. Using an oil additive that thickens the oil, can damage them. A leaky manifold will sound like a tick.