Dies while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rescuer3

Reaction score
Friday while driving up a moderate incline while towing a small tractor, my expy just died. It was running fine (a little top end rattle, normal for this truck) when the oil temp light came on and it just shut down. Coasted off the road, checked fluid levels and attempted to restart. The starter engaged but would not turn the engine, sounded just like it was seized. Come back Saturday morning with a tow truck and just for giggles, I try to start it. It starts, runs about 3 seconds and dies but sounds good for those 3 seconds. Get it home, hook it up to the reader and find no codes. Go over belt and pulleys, check fluids again and, finding no codes or problems, try to start it. This time it starts and I let it run until it gets to operating temp. I turn it off and it starts right back up.
Now, my question is has anyone had this happen before? What was the cause and what do I need to do to keep it from happening in the future?
2003 EB, 154,000 miles on 5.4

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
"Top end rattle" to me makes it sound like it is detonating.

My guess would be its leaning out under load. This may not set a code due to it going into open loop ignoring the O2 sensors. Weak fuel pressure/pump or vacuum leak?!

Check fuel pressure and all your vacuum lines. Also check you spark plugs to make sure one is not working itself loose and ready to eject.

I would check battery voltage as well both running, if possible, and off..

Obviously it could be many things but hopefully this gives you a place to start..

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Almost sounds like hydro-lock to me. Do you live in a region that is high above sea level?

If you did take out a head gasket to the point of hydro locking the cylinder there will be coolant in your oil.

May be worth checking it. It normally looks like a milkshake or muddy mess but if it sits long enough it will seperate. Coolant at the bottom, oil on top.. Coolant would be the first thing to come out if you crack open the drain plug.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Reason I ask about elevation is that I have heard that if you get too high in the hills, the engine tries to add too much fuel do to the lack of oxygen to mix and can hydrolock under load. Just something an old guy told me once, and so it might not have any truth behind it. It seems odd that it ran fine when you got it home though.

I would say check the alternator, but it should still run on the battery for a period of time if the battery is good, which it sounded like it originally didn't.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rescuer3

rescuer3

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses. I have eliminated coolant in the oil, checked it cold and at operating temp. Changed plugs a few months ago, so I will check that and fuel pressure. I guess I need to check pressure at start up and while running? And I will go over the vacuum lines again(love that elbow at the back of the intake). Again, thanks.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Reason I ask about elevation is that I have heard that if you get too high in the hills, the engine tries to add too much fuel do to the lack of oxygen to mix and can hydrolock under load. Just something an old guy told me once, and so it might not have any truth behind it. It seems odd that it ran fine when you got it home though.

I would say check the alternator, but it should still run on the battery for a period of time if the battery is good, which it sounded like it originally didn't.

My guess is the "old guy" was talking about how carb motors can run rich at high altitude due to the difference in air density. (Should be re-jetted) Assuming they were tuned for sea level. I would say poor choice of words. Does not really hydro lock it but can "flood" it.

This is not an issue with modern fuel injection. Mass air sensor compensates for changes in air density.

Top fuel on the other hand with their firehose sized injectors can hydro lock if they get a misfire. Nitromethane's stoich is also 1.7 to 1... vs 14.7 to 1 with straight gasoline :jawdrop: Makes for a nice bang.. :)

Last edited:

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My guess is the "old guy" was talking about how carb motors can run rich at high altitude due to the difference in air density. (Should be re-jetted) Assuming they were tuned for sea level. I would say poor choice of words. Does not really hydro lock it but can "flood" it.

This is not an issue with modern fuel injection. Mass air sensor compensates for changes in air density.

Top fuel on the other hand with their firehose sized injectors can hydro lock if they get a misfire. Nitromethane's stoich is also 1.7 to 1... vs 14.7 to 1 with straight gasoline :jawdrop: Makes for a nice bang.. :)

Haha damn old guy, I always thought that was a little weird to happen to fuel injection, but now I know. Thanks tom!