Diesel swap into an Expedition. Would it fit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i took some measurments today, the 7.3 is only 3 inchs wider than the 5.4, the motor mount to top engine is about 11 inchs different which could be adjusted... theres plenty of room to run the boost tubes and mount a good size inercooler...

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im not gonna lie. i think a diesel expy would be awesome. but you will probably spend just as much on the swap as you would for your truck. i would save your pennies, buy the superduty, then start workin on the expy as a project truck. thats my plan. i was plannin on doin a sas but never thought of a diesel. great idea.

OP
OP
G

gjhanson2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys! I've been doing a bunch of research and I think I've decided to slap a diesel and F-250 running gear into a Bronco (same front clip as the old square-body F-250's, some even come with the 7.3's tranny) and then I'll tub out the Expedition and make it into a desert runner. It would just take too much work to make the Expy a diesel.

Oh, and in case anyone was curious, I found out that Ford had planned to try the 4.5L V-6 Powerstroke out in 2005 Expy's and F-150's and decided there wasn't enough demand, then did the same exact thing with the 4.4L V-8 diesel they were thinking about putting into the 2011's. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and hope that the third time's the charm. Hopefully it won't take too long!

Thanks again for all the help!

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
awww... dont give up... would be a sick idea... I've wanted to put a 460 in when or if I do a SAS swap...

OP
OP
G

gjhanson2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The swap into the Bronco would just be a lot easier, all the running gear from a pre-Super Duty F-250 would bolt right on. But don't think Betsy, my beloved Expediton will be forgotten. I'm feeling a stroker kit I found: make her 5.4L into a 6.3L or maybe a Procharger Centrifugal Charger. But I'm sure a smaller diesel will be available for the Expedition a few years down the line, so I figure she'll eventually see an engine without spark plugs.

gijohn45

Reaction score
I always wondered if you could take the diesel drive train out of an excursion and modify it to fit the expedition... that would be a easier option I would think...

And yes you would want to put a live axle under it instead of the ifs... but that is not that hard.

climbinghalfdom

Reaction score
A diesel expedition is possible!

The swap into the Bronco would just be a lot easier, all the running gear from a pre-Super Duty F-250 would bolt right on. But don't think Betsy, my beloved Expediton will be forgotten.....But I'm sure a smaller diesel will be available for the Expedition a few years down the line, so I figure she'll eventually see an engine without spark plugs.

Someone is doing it!!! The moment we have dreamed of is almost here.

Read all about it.. Who would have thought a 4bt swap for a 2003 Expedition is possible but it can be done. Personally I would like to keep the Automatic transmission.

YEEE HAAA

join the 4BTswaps forum then read, read, read,
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?15772-2003-Ford-Expedition

I wish I was cool enough to do it myself. I'd like to pay someone to do the swap for me. I have a 1998 XLT Expedition 4.6L V8 2WD. Any takers? Send me a PM.
Kevin in the Grand Canyon

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah you should definetly do this! diesel is so much more superior to gasoline

One Mean Green

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Revival of old thread.

I read about the guy doing a swap of a Cummins 4bt into his 2003 Ford Expedition and since I want to get away from the Triton Motors with their problematic aluminum heads and I was originally thinking about a 390 swap but after stumbling on the Cummins 4bt swap I started thinking about going that way instead. Decent used 4bts are not that expensive and the ability to get more than the stock 105hp is a plus as well. There are many ex bread wagons and delivery vehicles around as well as military surplus ones so the supply is pretty good.

My thoughts are to get a 4bt and an adaptor to run the stock automatic transmission and AWD set up in my Eddie Bauer. I believe the hardest part of the swap besides the electrical would be fabricating the motor mounts. Since I plan on doing a 3 inch body lift I am sure that would help with the engine height issue and oil pan clearance issues. I don't plan on doing any towing with my vehicle so the transmission would probably be okay as it is and since I will eventually want to do a mild lift on the suspension that might help also.

I know I will have to buy a stand alone transmission controller and probablydo some rewiring but I think with some time and effort a 4bt is a do able project. I know that I have some time before my 5.4 needs to be replaced and checking around eBay and truck salvage yards I can probably find some of the parts used.

I have no interest in the 5.9 because it weighs too much and clearance would be a lot tougher. I probably will have to take part or all of the front clip off as it is.

Last edited: