turbo coolant fitting replacement hack - don't need to remove pipe first

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adam J

Reaction score
burning odor and sometimes visible smoke from passenger side of engine bay, especially after a hill climb or increased load on engine

*engine oil and coolant were both being burned off when the turbo got hot enough for long enough*

to address the engine oil on turbo, did the vacuum pump removal/rebuild/reinstall through wheel well - what a pain - all blind..

and.. "while you're in there"... the coolant leak that is often just a couple drips, but sometimes a small puddle
the top turbo coolant fitting was obviously leaking and that pipe sure wiggled a lot, increasing the leak
figured why not change that one fitting - but how...?
so many posts and videos are focused on removing the tube, then unthreading the fitting.
and doing (2) or (4) fittings at that time.. i wanted to do just this (1)
I unthreaded this particular fitting in place by cutting up a 3/4'' box end wrench
was able to disassemble the pipe from the fitting AFTER unthreading it and cleaned all the crud off it until "smooth enough"
popped new fitting on pipe (greased it first as I'd be rotating the gasket round and round the pipe) and then thread it into turbo
wasn't sure if this would harm the gasket inside the jiffy fitting, but that heavy grease seemed to help.
couple heat cycles and test drives looked promising
did first 100 mile trip today and no more burning smells and no sign of dripping from this fitting.
yes, i know there's (8) total coolant fittings between turbo sides and engine sides, and this only address one of them.
but for $15 of new fitting and $15 for a jug of coolant (probably spilled a quart total), figured why not update this one
hopefully this approach can save someone a bit of grief in their attempt to improve a leak

20240127_180608.jpg